Hypo-salinity

paul692

Market
Reaction score
I have a 75gal.FOWLR it is well established 6 -7years old . My question is will hypo-salinity kill snails?other websites say it will also how long do I need to treat?Some websites say 2weeks after the last white spots are seen on the fish while others say 4weeks and some go as little as 1week. Does anybody know what the correct time is? I only want to do this once

A lot of people (including me) have chosen to go the medication route instead of hyposalinity. Just wanted to throw it out there in case you wanted another option to consider. Details here:
showthread.php

I need to treat the whole tank I have been doing metro and focus and para guard for 3weeks the tang is still eating well.i soak his nori in garlic guard also. I saw him yesterday scraping the sand for the first time in 2weeks .it is hard to spot ich on him because a Sohal has a lot of white color in him.no other fish has the symptoms .but I still want to treat the whole tank.they say ho is less stressful. A couple of years ago I tried copper on a powder blue it almost killed him .i put him back in the display tank only to get it again several months later. I believe the parasite continues to live in my deep sand bed

There are strains of Cryptocaryon</em> that are resistant to hyposalinity. The best treatment options are Cupramine in a dedicated hospital tank or do tank transfer method for all your fish. There are no "reefsafe" ick treatments that work.

Additionally, garlic does nothing to combat ick. Long term feeding of garlic can cause liver damage in fish.

Going to try hypo hopefully I don't have the strain that is resistant to hypo if that doesn't work then I'll do copper in a hospital tank

If you are continuing to have a problem then you really need to find out what is stressing the fish out. My suggestion, based on great personal results is to start with a Cleaner Wrasse if you do not have one. Will it "eat the ich," i truly do not believe any of the data proves yes or no but I do know that it will help clean the fish skin and open up the burrowed cyst an possibly release the Ich. I was able to get mine under control by doing only this. How the Ich truly went away I do not know but whatever I did worked and my fish are completely happy and healthy.

Back