I am a complete moron!!!

johnmackay70

Supporting
Reaction score
Now that all my drywall in my basement living space is done, I started gearing up to begin my reef build in the next few weeks...

On saturday, I took an old 40 gal breeder I had laying around and started to prep it as my sump. measured it carefully, cut some glass for a bubble trap.

I drilled it for my return (I can't find my old glass bit, so I did it with a dremmel...took forever), took the tank apart, removed all old silicon, resealed it (the lower baffle of my bubble trap was part of the bottom seal, so integrated it fully in the seal.

Well tonight, I was removing a heater vent (in the ceiling) in my new reef room, and as I took out the second screw, the metal heater vent fell....right into my newly refurbished sump!!!!

it shattered both of the bubble trap baffles. I dont think it cracked the actual tank, but I just don't have the heart to look closely enough right now.

I have a question (and I fear I already know the answer). Since I will destroy the lower silicon seal (around the lower baffle) when removing the bubble trap, I think I have to cut out all the new silicon again and reseal the whole thing again (if I have the heart to do it again), I am pretty sure I cant just cut out around the baffle and just silicon that area...

am I wrong?

Why not move the baffle back slightly from its original position and do your best to remove the old silicone without touching the tank seal?

You might have a slightly ugly corner there, but no chance of damage to the bottom seal. After all, it's only a sump...

The lower baffle is in the lower tank seal, there is no war of removing it without cutting the lower seal.

If you want to start over, I think Petco still has their $1/G sale.

I probably will restart with a new one, problem is, I don't have a glass bit (at least I can't find it)...Used to be you could get them at home depot, but it doesn't seem like they have large enough ones anymore.

Anyone know where I can find these?

I am buying a sump from a fellow ARC member tomorrow.

There was a small crack in the 40B high up on one of the long sides.

I have completely taken apart the 40B again, and I am going to try to cut it down to 10 or 12 inches tall and put it back together. Hopefully I can cut the side down without ruining it.

If it works out, I will have a pretty cool shallow frag tank, I plan on plumbing both my display and frag to the same sump

He is my 40B as it sits right now
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
731684=34809-Photo on 2012-01-29 at 01.18.jpg
>
731684=34809-Photo on 2012-01-29 at 01.18.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Photo on 2012-01-29 at 01.18.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

i bought one at the depot awhile back, its for cutting tile, diamond coated and drilled holes in 2 mirrors 1/8 inch thick just have to let the bit do the work. no pushy :bubba:

Back