I came home to a nightmare yesterday...

purplegorilla

Reaction score
After having a 180 for 8 months and had it on automatic, I took a lot of things for granted. Being a dumba$$ like me, I went out and got me a 240 gallon so now I have to deal with 2 problems instead of one. Yesterday I came home to a big mess. To add insult to injuries, both tanks decided to buck the normal at the same time.

<span style="font-size: 14px;"><span style="color: black;">1. </span></span>I had installed 2 tunzes 6100 power heads in my 180 over the weekend. Had it on sequential but at pretty high rate. Well apparently one powerhead decided to turn on its own and pointed right towards the back and blew all the water from the tank onto my floor. Don't know how long its been going on but came home and found water all over my wood floor and into the basement. :mad2: . So now both power heads are turn way down, and I mean way down.

<span style="font-size: 14px;">2. </span><span style="font-size: 12px;">Then I look at my 240 in another room. I found it completely dark. Look at ReefKeeper 2 and saw it was not working. Here I am just few days ago praising how easy it is. Apparently the fuse blew. I guess the 2 sockets on there with the relay are there for a reason. :shout: . Luckily I didn't have the 2 power heads on the Reef Keeper 2 but on a dedicated socket so at least the water was oxygenated. I think my metal halide lights were what blew the fuse. </span>

Wow Trinh....double whammy! How is everything fairing? I had the same issue this weekend when I hooked the 2 400W up and they kept blowing the breaker. Moved one to another breaker and all is well. Hope everything is ok!

Yeah everything seems to do ok except my oriental rug and the wood floor is a little wet. What setting do people recommend with their tunze or any power head? I have the multi controllers. Do you kind of stop when you see your anemone kind of flapping around like a flag during the hurricane storm? How do you know how much GPH to adjust it to?

Honestly Trinh I would just pull those crappy Tunze out and replace them with my mod'd MJ1200s! Then I could take the Tunze off your hands since they obviously are flawed!!!

flyingarmy;157795 wrote: Honestly Trinh i would just pull those crappy Tunze out and replace them with my mod'd MJ1200s! Then I could take the Tunze off your hands since they obviously are flawed!!!

Mark I can't sleep at night if I would do you wrong buy giving you my tunzes. Besides I want your zoas to propagate so I can get some frags..;)

mark , mark, you wouldnt want to mess up your beautiful lighting scheme with flawed products....ill take them from ya. he....he...he....

Understand it's a conscience thing....! The zoas/palys are growing well, you'll need to stop by and check them out sometime! Hope the oriental rug makes it!

I have mine to pulse from the minumum to the maximum. I've found that the corals and such "learn" to deal with the flow.

Sucks about your disasters Trihn; hope you got it all under controll.

As far as the RK2, it's not really designed to run to high of a load (15 amp max), so it's best to run the halides on the expansion module if you have a bunch of other things running off the RK2. If the fuse blows, you're overloading it and simply replacing the fuse will eventually burn out the unit.

I have my tank split into 4 circuits: 2 x 15 amp and 2 x 20 amp. I have my return pump, skimmer & calc reator on one circuit. I have the chiller on it's own 20 amp ckt. I have the rest split between the other 2 circuits.

I have mine on 2 circuits, 1 15 amp (somewhat shared), and 1 20 amp (dedicated).

Kinda late, but I would put them on interval 2, both minimum and maybe 40% at first (for a few weeks). tweak up from there.

Water on the hard wood floors is always nice, sorry to hear that. How are your tunzes mounted, magnet ? They realy shouldn't turn?

Sorry to hear about your pair of disasters. Hopefully the wood floor, rug, and tank inhabitants all pull through.
You have to be really careful when making "improvements" to your system. Seems like for me things always went nuts whenever I messed with my system. :)

kzoo;157998 wrote: Water on the hard wood floors is always nice, sorry to hear that. How are your tunzes mounted, magnet ? They realy shouldn't turn?

yeah, how the .... did they turn?

mysterybox;158010 wrote: yeah, how the .... did they turn?

Well apparently the pulsing actions, cord extension, and highest setting cause the power head to eventually to turn to its least resistant angle. :confused2:

I do have the magnets mount since I read how the mounts that came with the Tunze sux.

Anyways, I think I got the Tunze dialed in now. Its not really that bad but I got it on 60% power at interval 2.

That's wierd. I use the cheap magnets to hold my tunzes and they run on interval 2 at full blast and dont move..and that's on 3/4" glass! I do have my cords secured in a 12 o'clock position though, so that may be helping the situation.

And I thought waking up to my tanks temp. at 91degrees was a bad feeling. I'm just I'm not alone today

Back