I got my T5s and have some questions

ckwatson

Market
Reaction score
I just got my Nova extreme T5. It is 2x39w T5 HO 10000K daylight, 2x39w 460nm actinic, and 3 moon lights (white) My questions are do i run the daylight and actinic or alternating with some over lap. The lights are 24" off the bottom. What kind of corals can i keep, I know i want an open brain coral other than that i am open to input.

You can have them turn on in stages, but you want both T5's running throughout the day.

An open brain should do fine under them. Make sure you feed the brain a little food once the lights go off. If you wait about 30min or so it should have it's feeding tentacles out.

I always say that the best starter is zoas as i don't think it is possible to kill them (well i am sure there is a way) good choice in lights i would just get one more set, I love my t-5s as this is all that i have now...n all i have is sps ans zoas and a little lps

nice light fixture, good luck with it :) Also once you get it all set - take some pics

I am growning Sps,Lps,and softies under T5's. I would watch your brain under T5's . T5's are very under rated about how the pierce the water. Just keep an I on it to make sure it doesnt start to bleach

For what it's worth my actinics come on at 7 am.
My daylights come on at 8 and I run them both together until 6PM.

At 6PM my daylights go off and actinics stay on until 7PM.

Then they turn off and the moonlights come on.

The problem is that not all t5s are created equal. The biggest difference is in the quality of reflectors being used. The nova extreme units have a single reflector vs individual parabolic reflectors, so I typically don't recommend that unit. That being said, I think you can raise a brain with no worries and most softies and other LPS as well. You might be able to get away with some of the lower light sps too like green or orange monti caps.

Back