I got one for ID

tbub1221

Reaction score
I bought one of these from an obscure ebay seller with little feedback last year and it was sold to me as a
st thomas mushroom , but I can't find anything like it anywhere and I've looked several times over the last few months.
They look identical to a full size bubble tip anemone but dot get over 2-3" or so , I started with one and it splits like clockwork every 11 or 12 weeks . I've got them in all my systems they like more light but grow awesome under pc in my biocube .
They do walk like an anemone but usually after a splitting, they don't sting other corals sps or softies.
So what is it a mushroom or some minatute variation of a bubbletip anemone?
20160518_194443_zps23kjginx.jpg
alt="" /></a>
20160518_194436_zpskbpzduav.jpg
alt="" /></a>

20160518_195907_zpsliyzdxt0.jpg
alt="" /></a>

20160518_195802_zps3v61hwtx.jpg
alt="" /></a>

hzheng33;1085077 wrote: I think it's a miniature nem. I have heard of St Thomas mushrooms but they look like mushrooms, not mini bta

Yea I have a st thomas mushroom the skirt bubbles and base are all different but I only have one common type and there are several different types under the name so I'm hoping that someone else has seen them before and can shed some light on the subject. .. Google failed me this round

Looks a lot like my RBTA only tips are different. RBTA's all sting I think!

As above posted, let's see the mouth!

Camellia;1085091 wrote: Looks a lot like my RBTA only tips are different. RBTA's all sting I think!

I'll try for a top down shot of the mouth tomorrow afternoon .
The mouths look just like my larger rbta's everything about them is identical except they multiply faster and never get over 3" , I've never fed them intentionally .

I've sorta felt like they were anemones from the beginning when I got the first one but I can't find any info on small bubbletip that never get big and split like rhodactis mushrooms.

Maybe it's a really pretty majano .. j/k

Looks kinda like a majano ... Kinda

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

hzheng33;1085125 wrote: I agree. a rare rainbow majano

Yea I considered it might be something like it , but there much larger than common majano I have a few pretty majano in my softie tank that I kept from over the years the multiply very slowly and look nothing like this up close .
These look like my RBTA speckles in the bulbs white spots on the oral disc and all they just don't grow larger

Also majano sting everything they touch where these whatever they are lay all over softcoral and sps never leaving a sting or agitate any coral it touchs , it lays on my green Milli every day .
If my rbta touch sps it's a dead spot by the end of the day, even having coral down current from the nems can cause damage

Camellia;1085091 wrote: Looks a lot like my RBTA only tips are different. RBTA's all sting I think!

The biocube has low flow and less intense light they only get The funny looking double bubble under the pc , under led they look short and bubbletip like and under t5 they stretch out more like in the first pictures.

Those are DEFINITELY Anemonia majano. They multiply like rabbits. When they colonize, they can seem kind of pretty but they will take over.

Jenn

JennM;1085402 wrote: Those are DEFINITELY Anemonia majano. They multiply like rabbits. When they colonize, they can seem kind of pretty but they will take over.

Jenn
I think your correct , I've been talking about them on another forum and came to the same conclusion last night.
Too bad , they really are pretty , I'll be sure to keep them in check .
Thanks for chiming in glad to know what it is now

Long ago I had a customer who had a rock, FULL of them. He thought they were pretty - they actually were, but I warned him they'd take over. He didn't listen. They did. He ended up tossing the rock but the damage was done, they'd migrated. He eventually got the upper hand by nuking them with Joe's Juice but they had claimed a lot of corals by then.

Jenn

JennM;1085405 wrote: Long ago I had a customer who had a rock, FULL of them. He thought they were pretty - they actually were, but I warned him they'd take over. He didn't listen. They did. He ended up tossing the rock but the damage was done, they'd migrated. He eventually got the upper hand by nuking them with Joe's Juice but they had claimed a lot of corals by then.

Jenn

OP stated these don't sting his corals!

Back