I had a new idea for a sump!

caldwellm

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys!
So my 55 gallon sits on one of the standard walmart stands that have a divider right through the middle, so i cannot fit a sump underneath. So i have always been using HOB Emperor filters, which surprisingly keep my tank incredibly clean, but i just feel very... amature... without a sump ;) lol haha--- So i had to figure out how to build a sump that would be inconspicuous enough to sit it beside the tank.
So i built one out of a plastic shelving unit :) The plumbing on it in the pictures is only temporary, this was just to see if it would hold water and the overflow and pump would function correctly- It all works like a charm :)

Its been running on my spare 29 in the garage for about 3 hours and im growing pretty confident in it :)

Just thought id share cuz im feeling pretty creative :) lol
Hope you're all havin a great day!

l_033463a242f957376ddcf65aefff3fb2.jpg
alt="" />

l_04ddc6db95bbf2ad9bc64fa6dddd95c0.jpg
alt="" />

l_1863a928218f3429d50ef3f4686f618e.jpg
alt="" />

By the time im done, the return pump will be hooked up to a pipe coming out of the back of the bottom shelf.
Each shelf has a pipe coming up about 4 inches vertically into the shelf so that water has to fill and overflow down the pipe. Then it enters the next shelf and follows the same pattern until in the bottom when a return pump sends it back into the tank :)

These pictures are while it is running by the way.
That unit is filled with water, so other than the pipes running everywhich way, that is how it will look right next to the tank :) and it adds about another 20 gallons to the system with each shelf filled about half way :)

I can't see your pictures but sounds like a great DIY sump. Here is another great idea someone came up with for a DIY Wet/Dry.

a>

That's pretty funky! Is it very loud with all the overflows?
How hard would it be to make the top shelf into a refugium? It seems like all you'd have to do would be to cut a rectangular hole for the light, then add sand and macro algae.

Its not nearly as loud as i had expected! I plan on adding some sort of... well something lol for the water falling into each shelf to land on to muffle a bit of the sound :)

As for the refugium- it seems like it would be incredibly easy to rig that up :)

It really all turned out much better than i had expected! haha :D

CaldwellM;76271 wrote: I plan on adding some sort of... well something lol for the water falling into each shelf to land on to muffle a bit of the sound :)

You could try a filter sock

Not bad, I worry about the long term durability of the plastic under the weight of the water. I have seen a design like this befor for a "raceway" filter. It is a great idea if it hold up (and you do not need to work on it because the water filled drawers would be difficult to remove.)

Tried to give you rep points for "ingenuity in the face of adversity", but your rep is turned off...

I agree with Brandon though. Look for that plastic to start sagging under the strain of all that wieght.

I'm still waiting for someone to build a 1g sump for a 2.5g bowfront.
Trust me, sooner or later, it'll happen!

rep points turned on! :) id love to get some! thanks!

I reworked the plumbing-- heres an updated pic :)

l_61acaf200a5cf44dae158c4ecb154772.jpg
alt="" />

my favorite part of the picture... notice the professionally made sump sitting right behind it... :D lol hahaha- so frustrating when you have something that just wont work! lol

Hey Son,
NOW I know why you are wearing the beard...:lol2:

JK. Looks like youv'e made progress! Nice work!

love ya'
mom...

Alrighty! :) final update i think :) I replaced the pump with a much much quieter one (and also must slower lol...) and now, dare i say it, i think its even quieter than the two emperors i have on the 55 already!

Im pretty pleased with it, im gonna let it run for about 3 days and see how it holds up :) thanks for all the responses guys!
and of course- thanks mum! ;)

Actually HE is the reason I got into it. We had (well actually His Father had) fresh water tanks when he was very young but I never enjoyed it very much. Michael got into Salt Water and I was hooked. His reef tanks is unbelieveably beautiful! And of course I love his Seahorse Tank is really cool. I am very proud of him!

He has helped me put my tank together and now I'm hooked. Dad is coming along LOL Now he thinks he wants tank with just corals. This kids has cost us A LOT of money :)

Have you tried shutting off the power and let the display tank siphon down into the sump? Any overflow? If none overflow when you start the return pump back up does your HOB overflow restart? Something to think about before hooking this up in your house.

already run through all those scenarios! no overflows and everything starts up again great! :D im really very impressed by this simple setup- i was so sure it was going to fail miserably ;) lol

Back