I have green floaties!!!

reeferkeifer

Market
Reaction score
So for a few weeks I have had green floating flakes swirling around my 90G tank. They look like algea flakes. They are very thin, different shapes and sizes. I do 20+ gallon water changes every two weeks, I vacuum my substrate every two weeks and change the sump socks several times a month. I feed seaweed every morning for my Fox Face and Hippo Tang and Larry's Reef Frenzy. Is it my return pump tubes that need a scrub from the build up of gunk on the pipe walls? Am I not turning over enough gph (btw I have not calculated that before). I have a Koralia Evolution 1040 and my return pump moving the water. It doesn't look bad from a far but when you get up to the tank the flakes are everywhere. Help. :confused2::confused2::confused2::confused2::confused2:

Could the green floaties be pieces of the seaweed? Often when the fish rip and tear, bits fly around in the water column.

The insides of the pipe walls should stay fairly clean because water is always moving through them. If the inside of the overflow box is getting funky, then that should be wiped out periodically, and make sure if you have a back-siphon prevention hole in your return pipe, that it doesn't get clogged up with gunk.

Jenn

ReeferKeifer;1015951 wrote: Is it my return pump tubes that need a scrub from the build up of gunk on the pipe walls?

It sounds like this. I get green fuzzy bits floating around after I restart my return pump. But I only see it after a restart. I put a fish net in front of the output to scoop it out of the water.

Does it seem normal to have the floaties be floating around 24/7? I cut the seaweed sheets down into quarter pieces, 1.5 in x 1.5 in, and then put 2 pieces on 2 rocks and put them at separate ends of the tank. My Fox Face goes ape s@*t for seaweed. I give 2 pieces to make sure there is enough for the Hippo.

You only see them floating? They don't stick to glass, rocks, corals, etc??

Have you cleaned your glasses lately? Just kidding.

My glass is squeaky clean. Just ask my snails. They give me the finger/tenticle after I scrape and wipe down the glass. When there is algea it's a mad dash. Or at least a snails pace mad dash.

I have no idea. Why flatworms? Is it also possible I need more powerful powerhead?

Back