I have some questions about the AquaCEV120 Protein Skimmer

parmoffitt

Market
Reaction score
My skimmer is rated to 150 gallons. My tank is 90 gallons. I have a small sump. 20x11x13.5. The skimmer is on a platform 7.5"from the bottom of the sump. The height of the sump is 13". The PS has a Mag 5 pump running it. It could sit on the bottom of the sump but the gate valve would be right at the waterline while the tank is running. The user manual says the PS won't operate at full capacity close to the water line so it is raised up. Could the PS be raised up too much to function properly? After looking at the platform I wondered if lowering the eggcrate just enough for the gate valve to be above waterline would help?

I bought this one used and had someone put it in but it never has given skimmet like the user manual says. I have a call to AquaC technical support and haven't heard from them. I wanted to know if anyone has this PS and could give me some advice.

I was not shown how to operate this PS but encouraged to play with it to learn how it works. I later downloaded the User Manual and now know something is wrong. It is not filling up the collection cup. It churns the water but not enough to raise bubbles to the top chamber.

Another irritation. Lefty loosy...righty tighty. Which way opens the red gate valve and blue air valve? I have adjusted both of these and am more confused than ever.
Now the PS is doing but mild churning with no bubbles...wet or dry.:(

I have been told over and over that this is one of the best PS. Obviously I am the problem and am doing something very wrong.

The joys of the EV120. It took me a long while to figure out mine (and I am still working on it.) Here is where I have mine set. My platform is 6" tall. The skimmer only sits in 4" of water. First thing I have to do was take a piece of JG tube and block the JG input. It pulls too much air if left open with out a CA reactor. From there I could mess with the settings. The red valve turns to the right to close the output. The air ball valve turns down to open the airflow. I did put a 90 degree elbow on the output to quiet it down a bit, the splashing of leaving it unmodded was driving me nuts and creating too much spray. I am in Lawrenceville so if you want some help with it, let me know.

Back