I is for Iodine Inverts

saltjockey

Reaction score
I have a question about our newest tank mates a Randall Goby and Tiger Pistol Shrimp. I've heard I need to dose iodine for inverts, but I cannot find anything about how much to dose, how often and is there any special kind of iodine?

Here's the parameters:
55 gallon FO (no live rock)
Canister filter
4 clowns
8 Blue Leg hermits
1 Randall Goby
1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm
Salinity 1.021
pH 8.0

I've never had to with a much smaller tank running an invert-heavy bioload - hermits, shrimp & porcelain crabs. Dose in too much and you risk stressing them by triggering too-frequent molting.

IME regularly-performed water change regimen with a reef-grade salt & a decent rotation of foods seems to supply all that is needed. If you opt to dose, use a Lugol's solution or iodine supplement from one of the recognized purveyors of such, NOT the first-aid tincture sold at local pharmacies. And a test kit to see what your levels look like before doing so.

As an aside - you'll need some live rock or something in there for shelter & hiding spots. Most larger (>4-5") fish will readily snack on smaller ornamental inverts.

As a general rule, you shouldn't dose anything unless you have a test for it. That way you can dose in proper amounts. I like the Red Sea test kit for Iodine, but I never had to add any to the tank. Water changes are enough to maintain it for my tank!

shrimpy brains;1047182 wrote: as a general rule, you shouldn't dose anything unless you have a test for it. That way you can dose in proper amounts. I like the red sea test kit for iodine, but i never had to add any to the tank. Water changes are enough to maintain it for my tank!

+1

Shrimpy Brains;1047183 wrote: Oh I would say your salinity is a little low. I would bump it up to at least 1.024

It would be fine if you just had fish only but with the inverts as well the lower salinity will add some stress to them and decrease their total life expectancy

Thanks for the advice, folks. I will grab a test kit to make sure the water changes are doing the trick. As for the salinity I have been bringing it up slowly. It is actually up from where it started about 6 weeks ago. My plan is to get it up to 1.024/5, I just do 10% changes and make sure the replacement water is a little bit more saline so I don't freak out of my little buddies. Loving all these fish and inverts so far! Clowns are addictive and I can't stop watching the pistol "doze" the sand all the time. Absolutely hilarious to watch. Best...hobby...ever. :thumbs:

BulkRate;1047155 wrote: I've never had to with a much smaller tank running an invert-heavy bioload - hermits, shrimp & porcelain crabs. Dose in too much and you risk stressing them by triggering too-frequent molting.

IME regularly-performed water change regimen with a reef-grade salt & a decent rotation of foods seems to supply all that is needed. If you opt to dose, use a Lugol's solution or iodine supplement from one of the recognized purveyors of such, NOT the first-aid tincture sold at local pharmacies. And a test kit to see what your levels look like before doing so.

As an aside - you'll need some live rock or something in there for shelter & hiding spots. Most larger (>4-5") fish will readily snack on smaller ornamental inverts.

This. To the letter. No pun intended (I is for iodine/inverts).

Some is good, but more is not necessarily better. I've seen people kill stuff with too much iodine.

Regular water changes with a decent salt mix should keep the level where it's needed to be without supplemental dosing.

If you feel you need to dose (because testing indicates it) be very careful and do not overdose.

That's one slip up that can cause a heap of trouble.

Jenn

Back