I just watched my Quoy's Parrot Die!

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
Can fish have heart attacks? I was sitting in my recliner next to my 465 when I heard a big splash coming from the tank. I looked user to see a bubble trail from my Quoy's going from the water surface about at about the middle of the tank to my MP60s on the left side of the tank, then I saw the Quoy's glance off the MP60 wet side and into an acropora colony, breaking off a large branch. I then saw him a minute later, still breathing, and then he floated to the bottom of the tank, dead as a door nail.

I scooped him up in a specimen cup in case he was in shock, but he is done. A couple scales knocked off his side, but no damage other than that.

I can only guess he may have had a bad interaction with one of my tangs, ran into the MP60 wet side, then collided with the acropora colony. Looks like the shock killed him maybe. He is not torn up at all!

This is so sad. He had a great personality, was a beautiful, and not an inexpensive fish. I bought him at SEA a bit less than 2 years ago. You will be missed, my friend! :sad:

Sorry for your loss man, but yes they can have heart attacks. It's happened to me when trying to catch anthias. Bagged him up and next thing I knew he was dead.

I have to believe anything with a heart can have a heart attack. But so sorry for your lose.

That was the strangest thing I have ever seen happen in my tank.

I think he may have had an interaction with my Unicorn Tang, as I noticed it was laying low in the tank and was wearing some stress spots, not his usual middle of the day behavior. The Unicorn is the largest fish in the tank, and is actually quite peaceful.

Unfortunate, whatever the circumstances.

Wow. Sorry to hear that Dave.

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

What a bummer. So sorry, Dave. :( I have heard that those guys are really cool fish. I don't know that I have ever seen one in person.

Thanks everyone. I feel terrible as it was just a freak thing. He ran into two three different things: He may have hit the cross support going front to back on the tank first, not sure if he hit that, as I watched just after whatever it was on the water surface that started the incident, but he definitely hit the MP60 wetside/tank glass it was on, and definitely took a couple chunky acropora branches out as well.

I didn't know about the fish CPR thing Brian described. I kept him in a specimen container in the tank for an hour before pulling the body, and for the first few minutes I flushed new water in and out of the container every few seconds, and every few minutes after that.

Sorry to hear that Dave....we all have had that one special fish leave unexpectedly. Now if you need a place for those coral chunks, I know a certain tank they would look good in :yes:

Knowing how you care for your tank inhabitants I'm pretty sure he lived happy since you got him, and living with you for that long is a bless. I don't even know how long those nice little fish is expected to live in a nice environment like you have for them, but one thing is for sure, you have and put dedication on them.

Bummer, David. I've seen it happen a time or two as well. Once, "other" Jen (who worked for me) was bagging a yellow tang to bring to a client's, and in the moment it took for her to herd it into the specimen cup, it keeled over.

Jen looked at me like a deer in the headlights - I saw her catching it, she didn't do anything any differently than we always did. We tried resuscitating, but no joy.

And unfortunate loss for you, for sure, but doesn't sound like it was at all preventable.

Jenn

JennM;967917 wrote: Bummer, David. I've seen it happen a time or two as well. Once, "other" Jen (who worked for me) was bagging a yellow tang to bring to a client's, and in the moment it took for her to herd it into the specimen cup, it keeled over.

Jen looked at me like a deer in the headlights - I saw her catching it, she didn't do anything any differently than we always did. We tried resuscitating, but no joy.

And unfortunate loss for you, for sure, but doesn't sound like it was at all preventable.

Jenn

The Quoy's would shoot around like a torpedo sometimes. Never seemed to hit anything. He was one of the largest fish in the tank, besides my Unicorn Tang.

Thanks to everyone for their condolences. Freakiest thing I have ever seen regarding a fish death.

Back