I Miss my Coraline

jonboyb

Market
Reaction score
After 8 months or so of my first reef tank being up and running, I was looking through pictures to note growth and other changes. In Jan of this year, I changed my 150w MH bulb from the stock JBJ 14k bulb to a 14k Phoenix bulb and my SPS's really took off. Until I looked through old pictures, I didn't realize the decrease in coraline since the bulb change. My LR used to be solid and vibrant purple, however now the upper half of my tank is dull and partially devoid of coraline. It's weird to see all the trade-offs of reefing upgrades.

January 2009
img_0507.jpg
alt="" />

Current
>

My tank is like that too. I'm not sure (maybe someone else knows) but I guess that the SPS is capable of outcompeting the coraline on calcium or some other nutrient. I have heard low MG can decrease coraline, but mine is about 1300. Have you checked yours?

Tank is looking very good, BTW.

Really Barb? I have been running a reactor since nearly day 1 on my tank, and it never really had much coraline. I'm not sure what the eff, but I do know my tank is VERY heavily stocked in corals, so I may be short on something I dont test for. My colors are definatly off a little still. I have wondered if I need trace element supplements, but I do weekly 10% WCs and use Seachem Reef, so I would think I am covered. But I dunno.

Wish my university had one of those fancy water testing machines like Tech does.

I actually have to dose 2-part for alk/ca and magnesium RELIGIOSLY. If I don't, it plummets. I would love to add a reactor, but not easily done on this tank. I keep my alk at 9-10, Ca at 425+, and MG at 1300+ and the SPS's are going nuts. Most have at least doubled since Jan (note the Tri-color that has become my reef kudzu now:D).

As another of those trade-offs, my zoa/softy propogation has slowed either due to lighting or dosing. They still grow and look great, they just don't propogate like the earlier months. I'll sacrifice all that for my increase in hard corals though:yes:

I think any calcium over 360 or 400 is plenty for corals to calcify, but dont quote me on that. I think some really nice sps tanks run low calcium. I remember Sailfish's calcium was lower than I expected (cant remeber the exact numbers) but as you can see his tank is spectacular.

Mine tends to float at 500 for some reason, but I use API to test it, which tends to run high according to some folk.

My new CR is running high on alky.. and calcium is still below where it needs to be at about 360-370. Turn up the bubbles?

Joe

I've heard that too much light will hinder coraline growth which is why you usually see it start growing in the lower light areas first. The Phoenix 14k may produce more PAR than the JBJ 14k which would result in top section of rock getting "more light" thus reducing the coraline. Evidence of this is on your back wall. Look at the coraline having a larger presence in the lower section. Also, the more your corals grow, the more calcium they consume so the combination of both may be the reason.

jhutto;346371 wrote: My new CR is running high on alky.. and calcium is still below where it needs to be at about 360-370. Turn up the bubbles?

Joe

What is high? I would manual bumb the calcium up to 420 then test to see if it will stay there. You also need to remember that some salts have low cal. Then when you do a water change you bring you cal level down.

I agree with Dered low Mag and too much light can cause loss of coraline.

You do not have a Urchin do you?

Joe

Nice growth jonboyb....I would rather have my SPS pop than have lots of bright coraline, and your tank is looking great BTW.

Back