I need help on canopy design for T5s

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm going t5's on the bigger tank, and need some ideas on a canopy. Here is what I want:

-Lowest profile possible, maybe 3-4"
-Hinged so it can raise up and down like a lid
-Will include 3" fans on back, maybe 6 of them (3 per side)

I have a tall canopy, but it does not open or have a door, and it is way too tall (18") so I may cut it down for the basic framework. The real trick I need help with is the hinge system. I was thinking of doing a 2 piece system. On part would be a rigid frame that fits inside the rim of the tank. It would use nylon bolts to lock it onto the rim. the hinges would attach this to the upper portion, which houses the lights and fan. A prop arm could be used to hold the top open for maintenance.

Here is a rough paint drawing for an idea..

hinge.jpg
alt="" />

careful...with that much weight on the top and hinged so far at the back...it will become top heavy when open and if you go past the stable point, you run the risk of the bottom raising up off the tank....I would split the lid in half and hinge it in the center.....IMHO

what if you hinged just the top piece where the lights are. So the frame would stay on the tank. It would add about 3-4" to the hight of the tank or how ever high you have your lights off the water

jade76;188533 wrote: careful...with that much weight on the top and hinged so far at the back...it will become top heavy when open and if you go past the stable point, you run the risk of the bottom raising up off the tank....I would split the lid in half and hinge it in the center.....IMHO

That's what the nylon bolts are for, to lock the lower 'bezel' to the tank top to give a steady surface to hinge on. But, I dont think it will be too awfully heavy. 6 3" fans, 8 t5 lights and reflectors, and light plywood frame + bracing (maybe even 1/4 inch). The ballasts will be remote. But I do like the middle hinge idea. I will def keep that in mind.

Instead of plywood you should use a lighter type of wood I cant remember the name of it. I have used it to make some oversize corner shelves so there wasn't alot of weight.

corvettecris;188779 wrote: That's what the nylon bolts are for, to lock the lower 'bezel' to the tank top to give a steady surface to hinge on. But, I dont think it will be too awfully heavy. 6 3" fans, 8 t5 lights and reflectors, and light plywood frame + bracing (maybe even 1/4 inch). The ballasts will be remote. But I do like the middle hinge idea. I will def keep that in mind.
sounds like you got it figured out bro....get er done!

WILLIAM1;188835 wrote: Instead of plywood you should use a lighter type of wood I cant remember the name of it. I have used it to make some oversize corner shelves so there wasn't alot of weight.

Well, maybe if you can remember the name I will check it out. But... I may use like 1/4 ply, which should be kinda light. It also will not have a 'top' but instead have just a frame with bracing.

I do want to know what kind of wood you are thinking.

I like your idea. That's basically what I do to access my tank. I think you should take a look at Alan's tank though for another possibility. He uses plywood with 8 reflectors very close to the water. He used a piano hinge in the middle so part of the front canopy will flip up providing access. It's well done.

Yeah, I need to get a hold of him and see his setup.

You know Jin, I have a linear actuator somewhere that would probably lift that top if it stays light. It's kinda like those ones that folks use on custom cars to open the lambo doors (not the gas shock ones). I thought about making a linkage setup where the actuator is in the stand and can open the top with the push of a button.It has about a 6" stroke. Now that would be cool. A little frivolous, but cool.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do mine as well so I'll be real interested in what you decide to do. Right now I'm thinking of going with a design that George came up with to make a box out of plywood to hold the bulbs that will be on drawer slides so it can be pushed back a few inches for feeding and then put a piano hinge in the back so I can lock the slide and then lift the top to clean reflectors, change bulbs or get into the tank.

Chris,

If you want to come by sometime this weekend and look at mine you are welcome to. Just let me know!

Back