I need help with my PAR 38 fixture design

jruberti

Market
Reaction score
I am setting up an 11.4 gallon tank, and I want to light it with x2 Evil's PAR 38 20k bulbs. I have looked at Lowes, Home Depot, and Walmart for a fixture that would work with what I have in mind, but no luck. Instead of trying to describe what I'm looking for, I threw some pictures together in power-point.

<u>Design 1</u>
2cd7v4k.png
alt="" />

<u>Design 2</u>
j8jf5x.png
alt="" />

Do any of you have any suggestions on what fixture(s) I could use to accomplish this?

Thanks!

id use pvc to build the stands elbows for the bend you can find light covers were the sealing fans are and lamp socets w/cord all at hd maybee $20

I think Design 2 would be more efficient between the 2, but not the best choice. The light would distributed better, if you still had two separate rods as in D2, but moved them closer together, and instead of aiming to the center, aim them straight down. From what i have read about the par 38, they seem to distribute light well for their size. Aiming them both at a central location would probably create an unnecessary high par in the center and lower around the outside. This would only be beneficial if you wanted low light stuff on the outer rim and SPS in the center.

design 2

go to an electrical supply house (mayer/granger/etc) and tell them what you're looking for and see if they can help you come up with a design..

I would imagine that 3/4" EMT conduit would be the way to go (there are all kinds of fittings that you can use, you'll only really need to find a way to set the socket in a fixture.. )
plus, they'll have about 20 different (obscure) lighting catalogs that you can thumb through..

thanks for the replies!

here is the design I think I am going to go with:
egac5s.png
alt="" />
I am going to use PVC to rig the light tree :) thanks for the suggestion

I ordered these two of these:
flx195.jpg
alt="" />

Back