I need some direction...

bdesper311

Market
Reaction score
So for the past four months I have been battling some type of algae, fungus, brown jelly, devil spawn substance. I have kept up with weekly water changes, ran chemipure elite and phosoban, suction as much as I can out while doing water change, and have not fed anything to the tank since this crap started (it is coral only.)

tankpic1.jpg
alt="" /></a>

tankpic2.jpg
alt="" /></a>

All tests results are spot on except I do not have a phosphate test. I top off with RODI. I don't know what this stuff is, where it came from, or how to get rid of it. After becoming tired of this stuff swaying in the current, I have decided it is time to take action, I just do not know what direction to go in.

I have several options. I have a nice 33 gallon rimless tank that is brand new with new mp10 and new everything except it is without lights. This will obviously cost several hundred bucks to get lights for this tank if I were to move coral out of the original tank put in here. The downfall with this plan is the lights and there is a good chance I will be moving in the next six months. Moving an 8 gallon is considerable easier than 33 gallons.

Option two is moving everything into a cheap ten gallon and removing all rock from the 8 gallon. Clean it up 8 gallon and putting stuff back in here.

Option three is treating the 8 gallon with some voodoo that some fellow arc member knows and gets rid of the brown crap.

Fourth option is selling off the 8 gallon stuff and waiting until I move and set up the 33 gallon.

Final option is selling everything, use that money to book a dive trip, and go find an island to dive from and grab a beer.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Might be dinoflagellates. I was stumped with it for a while in my tank but it turned out being that. Lots of bubbles coming up from rock and what looked like hair algae but wasn't. There are many different types and colors. Could be it.

I thought Dinos released trapped bubbles over time, mine does not have this. Also, there is no treatment for dinos correct?

The dyno I had released tons of bubbles daily. I got rid of it by changing out all my lr with some I had cycling, running two carbon reactors and cleaning sand really well. It started coming back a little on the new rock so I stopped doing water changes and minimized the amount of time the lights were on. Now is completely gone and I'm back to running lights on regular cycle. Took pretty much a complete tank overhaul to get rid of it quickly.

benpoole28;960509 wrote: The dyno I had released tons of bubbles daily. I got rid of it by changing out all my lr with some I had cycling, running two carbon reactors and cleaning sand really well. It started coming back a little on the new rock so I stopped doing water changes and minimized the amount of time the lights were on. Now is completely gone and I'm back to running lights on regular cycle. Took pretty much a complete tank overhaul to get rid of it quickly.

That is what I'm afraid of....

And if I am at that point I have to decide if I want to put that much effort into a smaller tank.

Yeah it was a pain, I would have been out of luck if I didn't have rock ready to go in the tank. I think what finally did it in after coming back was either the stopping of the water changes or the lack of light, or both. I read where someone got rid of it by raising nitrates up to 3 ppm and holding it there but it took quite a while, which is why I stopped the water changes. Would be hard to control in a tank that small though.

LSU_fishFan;960520 wrote: Give Nualgi a try. Completely cleaned my tank of hair algae
++1, still dosing once a week and tank looks 1,000% better without the hair algea.

What are your parameters? All that you can measure including specific gravity and temperature.

Jenn

Back