I need some feedback on an in tank refugium with a false wall...

FutureInterest

Market
Reaction score
So… I had an idea for what I want to do with part of my tank. I haven’t seen it before in this way... The tank size I’m looking at will be somewhere between 8 – 10 feet wide. My idea here is to simply create a false wall on one end of the tank with about 6-8 inches of space behind it. In that space I would grow various macro algae, maybe go with a hair algae scrubber. The return line would also feed into this area and through slits in the false wall water would return to the system. The added benefit would be a large refugium that is part of the main display and would provide lots of delicious natural pods for my wrasse and mandarins. I also get to hide the return line. I’m sure pods make it back into the display from the return pump as well, but that’s always been a lil speculative as I don't know how resilient they are. The downside is that it would take up tank real estate but with the tank being so wide… I think I’m fine with that. Since it will be an in wall setup this portion of the tank would not be visible for regular display as I simply wall that section off.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

All of my tanks are all-in-ones with a refugium behind a false wall. Currently have a 75g and 30g (breeder) set up in this manner. I have also built up to 150G tanks this way. I like your idea, let's see some pictures as you proceed.

Thanks guys. I'm not sure what an all-in-one is in this instance as the only ones that I've used that qualify are biocubes and their ilk. I still will have a sump and eventually a frag tank plumbed in. Dave can you please show me pics of your 75 and/or 30?

FutureInterest;1059208 wrote: Thanks guys. I'm not sure what an all-in-one is in this instance as the only ones that I've used that qualify are biocubes and their ilk. I still will have a sump and eventually a frag tank plumbed in. Dave can you please show me pics of your 75 and/or 30?

I'll try to get some pics up later. All in ones for me are like what you see in a biocube but I design and build my own for each tank. My design is pretty simple and one I have used for almost 30 years...

I include a chamber that has strainer teeth cut into the top and middle of the false wall for a diverse induction of water form the display that has a constant water lever so I can keep a heater & skimmer in (I like using tunze DOC skimmers). From there water spills over to a second chamber promoting a true surface skimming action. I incorporate a section after the spill over that I can use a filter pad to collect junk if needed. From there the water flows into a section housing some live rock and cheato that gets harvested monthly. Last chamber is the return pumps and ATO since the last 2 chambers are where evaporation affects water level. My false wall/filter area design take up about 10-12% of the tank space and I like have a sump at eye level to see whats going on and perform maintenance.

I know all-in-ones don't appeal or work for everyone but it works for me. Also can be a great idea when there is no space for a sump.

Something like this?

<!-- gcu-updated ame -->http://youtu.be/xzFMa5_6NbI<!-- gcu-updated /ame -->

I did something similar on my old 15g nano.

I had a 3" section in the back that I used for a fuge with rock rubble some cheato on top. It had a coast to coast overflow that dropped into the fuge then over to an overflow box.

The problems I had with it were it was so narrow you could not get in there to clean it or do anything, as well as there not being much flow through it. It ended up having a dead zone on the bottom half due to poor water flow.

If you are really REALLY tight on space its an option but not one I could consider a good one.

Its much easier to do an under tank setup, both in terms of setup and future maintenance.

I’m not trying to do anything ground breaking or anything that hasn’t been done in some form. I know Schwaggs used to have another tank plumbed into his display with tubes that allowed pods to wander in. That being said, what I’m planning is a little different from what I’ve seen thus far in that it’s going to be a sectioned off part of the actual tank and the flow is going to go from the sump… to the refugium behind the false wall and then flow into the main tank. There should be plenty of flow from the return pump blasting in there. I can add a powerhead if that’s not sufficient. The flow from the return pump should help give the pods a helpful nudge in the right direction… and waiting mouths of my army of wrasses and a few mandarins.

If all you want is more pods, this is a complicated way to do it.

Pods can make it past pumps without issue. I never had a shortage of pods making it into my tank from the fuge downstairs. Plus there are easier ways to make pod sanctuaries. You can make rock rubble bundles inside plastic screen and put those in your rock work for one. Or do an over tank fuge with a small tank that simply drains into the display.

Or check out the auto baby brine feeder I made a while back. Between the fuge and that thing Im keeping 2 mandarins and 3 ruby scooters fatter than hell. They are so fat Im actually planning to add another mandarin and a pair of pipes. And thats with numerous other wrasses in the tank with them.

Over the years Ive found that pods will multiply if the conditions are right and nothing, not even pumps or a UV will stop them getting everywhere in the system. And easy maintenance is a big deal.

Is it really that complicated? :) I just section off a part of the tank that is hidden from view and there's my fuge and it's pumping into the tank from the return line.

That being said... I love your ideas of rock rubble bundles in plastic screens in the rockwork. Never thought or heard of that b4. I'm using it for sure. I'm not keen on anything hang on the back but I do like the over tank fuge idea as well. It gives me more to think about. Thank you very much.

Were you the guy that used to work at cap bay or am I thinking of someone else... :)

Yup that was me.

My hate for rear filter/fuge compartments came from trying to get fish out of them. Especially since, if you have room elsewhere, whats the point?

Sweet. Hopefully we get to catch up sometime. I'd like to pick your brain on a few more things :). I really appreciate the feedback. It gives me more to consider. If I do go with this no fish will ever make it in there... this tank will be jump proof. I've had many a fine wrasse in my early stages of this hobby become cat food and have learned my lesson that a tight fitting canopy is not sufficient... you gotta have netting. Thanks again.

Sup Rit! Hope you and your beautiful family are doing well :). I'll swing by and visit you sometime soon.

Genesis;1059221 wrote: Something like this?

http://youtu.be/xzFMa5_6NbI">http://youtu.be/xzFMa5_6NbI</a>[/QUOTE]

Hey Jim, like the idea.
Agree with Ender too, never have had a deficiency of pods in the tank.

Tell ya what tho, loving this guys accent in the vid so much I'm going to hunt me a man that can say tonk like him!
Sorry, off topic but so **** sexy :blush:

I think it is very feasible. I would use glass instead of acrylic for longevity (assuming you have a glass tank). Acrylic doesn't bond well to glass using silicone.

Things to consider:

1) strainers of some sort to keep algae in the Refugium.
2) regular cleaning of the strainers so that they don't clog and cause a flood. I imagine this would require more frequent cleanings than one might think.

I look forward to pictures!

Back