I need some suggestions for lighting...

FutureInterest

Market
Reaction score
I picked up a frag tank that is 42" by 42" and 12" deep. I'm looking for any lighting suggestions... as its kind of an odd shape. Bulb/ballast/reflectors.

Thanks.

Jin,
On your other post with Crayola sps, your tank is absolutely beautiful. Can you give us the details of lighting, water movement etc. ?

Joe

Jinj, as per our conversation- I still think a 20" lumenbright is the way to go. It may not hit everycorner, but for a single reflector- it is the bomb. match it with a e-ballast and reeflux bulb. IMO.

I'd go with the LB too. I like the reeflux 12k bulb a lot; I've got stuff that colours up so nicely under that bulb.

Thanks guys I appreciate the input. I think I'll try the lumenbright.

400 or 250?

If you go with the Reeflux bulb...which is what I'd recommend....make sure you get the coral vue ballast too. This is one of the great places to order from.

http://www.reefspecialty.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_29&products_id=200">http://www.reefspecialty.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_29&products_id=200</a>

Now the diff between the 400 and 250....this is a good one. I personally would go with the 400. The 250 is strong, but with the 400, you can lift it off water much higher, get better spread and have little to no heat transfer.... and still have a HIGH PAR value hitting those corals :) If you were to go with 2 LBs however, I'd recommend going 2x250.

agree with lee. 400 watt on the coralvue ballast. come and see it in action. you remember- creepy hollow rd.

Alright. I appreciate the input. I'm going to follow the sage advice above and go with a 400 watt lumenbright and coralife e-ballast with 12k reeflux.

Is there a difference in performance between the retro and the pendant?

The pendant just looks nicer. It has a black casing and I think a sheet of glass to go in the bottom. I've heard it's a PITA to get in and out however. Ask Jeremy about that.

Back