I think I got marine velvet?

charlieborg

Market
Reaction score
I have had several fish die in the past week. They have a white slime looking places on them. My question is what do I do to the tank after I get all the fish out of it to treat them? Will it die off or do I need to treat the tank with something too? I have several invertebrates and corals of all kinds in it.

Allow the tank to lie fallow (without any fish in it) will give enough time for pathogens to die off. For a month to be sure.

Fwiw, running a UV with correct flow through it, will greatly accelerate this process.

Sorry for your losses.
In retrospect, having a separate quarantine, or better yet a prophylactic treatment system can mostly avoid this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you get things worked out, you may want to consider using that UV on your display, if it is of the correct size.

FWIW- You don't have to run UV 24x7 to effectively prevent outbreaks.
Many run UV only during the day & turn it off at night, so you don't fry the pods & plankton.
Keeping your nutrient levels low will also help keep pathogens in check & improve all around system health.

Well I wish I had caught it sooner. So far I have lost 8 fish. I only had 12 to start with. Does velvet hurt tube worms? Mine has not been out in a while.

Back