I want a frag tank. Do I NEED a frag tank?

catgirl29

Market
Reaction score
I love frag tanks. I kind of drool over them every time I see them. I don't really need one though, do I?

Catgirl29;1044716 wrote: I love frag tanks. I kind of drool over them every time I see them. I don't really need one though, do I?

You do want one! :Banane01:

I think most people start out with frag racks inside there DT. When they have quite a bit of livestock that they are planning on fragging they need more room ie a dedicated frag tank. To me a frag tank is an addition for the reefer who is pretty serious about propagation.

Genesis;1044721 wrote: I think most people start out with frag racks inside there DT. When they have quite a bit of livestock that they are planning on fragging they need more room ie a dedicated frag tank. To me a frag tank is an addition for the reefer who is pretty serious about propagation.

+1 the drooling you get is more than likely from all the eye candy inside the tank and not the tank itself. if you plan on cutting up a lot of coral and need extra space to hold it then a frag tank is the way to go. otherwise its just more money to spend.

Yeah - I know that (about the more money). I really do just love the form factor. I don't need one. I don't plan on getting into the business of selling frags.

Picoreefguy;1044732 wrote: +1 the drooling you get is more than likely from all the eye candy inside the tank and not the tank itself. if you plan on cutting up a lot of coral and need extra space to hold it then a frag tank is the way to go. otherwise its just more money to spend.

Another thing is that some people have dual purpose for their frag tanks as grow out tanks as well

I think you need one() that's why you posted this haha. If you'll enjoy it then go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catgirl29;1044734 wrote: Yeah - I know that (about the more money). I really do just love the form factor. I don't need one. I don't plan on getting into the business of selling frags.

I love my frag tank (80 rimless) for the form factor too. Like SnowManSnow I also use it as a display tank instead of a frag grow out tank.

Any tank can become a frag thank with out dumping a bunch of money into it and you don't have to go big or a bunch of equipment like the DT.
A heater, tank, light, powerhead and a hang on filter, done!

dasianguy;1045399 wrote: I love my frag tank (80 rimless) for the form factor too. Like SnowManSnow I also use it as a display tank instead of a frag grow out tank.

shallower dimensions = less light needed = ok with me :)

SnowManSnow;1045404 wrote: shallower dimensions = less light needed = ok with me :)

^exactly. if you're gonna do a frag tank go shallow. and besides the light aspect you also dont have to get your whole arm wet to move something around or get a frag out.

That's a great point. Personally I like my stands a little taller, and I don't need a step stool to get my arm up and over the edge in my current setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frag tanks are great. I saved costs on mine by plumbing it into my DT so the only equipment I had to purchase was a 4 bulb T5 unit and the pvc to plumb it together. Saved quite a bit on money from not needing to buy extra equipment for a stand alone system.

ksicard;1045443 wrote: Frag tanks are great. I saved costs on mine by plumbing it into my DT so the only equipment I had to purchase was a 4 bulb T5 unit and the pvc to plumb it together. Saved quite a bit on money from not needing to buy extra equipment for a stand alone system.
That's the best way to do it imo. Even if you have some extra room in your sump area you could make it work down there too...

Yes you absolutely need a frag tank. Feed the addiction! Muahahah

Back