I want more than just softies...

twistoflime

Market
Reaction score
currently I only have softies in my tank ( a monti cap frag and a chalice frag are the only hard corals I have) I would like to put more sps and lps in my tank but I was wondering about their requierments. Do I have to dose any thing? I have 150 mh over a 30g so everything should be ok with the lighting. I just need to know what I have to do to keep everything alive and growing. I would also like to add a crocea clam, I have no idea how to take care of those...

The only thing I would ask is what is your current schedule like? I don't have anything ofther than softies either and I know there will be plenty of folks on the forum that will have more advice for you but my biggest issue is getting and keeping on a schedule. I still have a lot to learn before I try any SPS or LPS coral's but one thing that has helped me a bunch is making a schedule and keeping a journal.

I now have 3 months worth of tests, additions, changes and results to work from. That's the best thing I can sugguest at this point. When I started I got a tremendous amount of information and the only way I was able to organize it was to keep good records of what was going on in my tank. I've made some mistakes but I learned from them. Now I keep track of everything that goes on and in my tank including what,when and how much I feed. So, I'll let others give you hard numbers and facts about keeping a wider range of corals but keeping a detailed journal has really helped me get my mind around what is going on in my setup and allowed me to maintain parameter's much better. I'l be watching this post because I need the info as well.

I would slow down just a tad.. Nothing good ever happens in a reef tank fast... wait and see how that monti does and go from there..

I second that. Patience is another thing that I have to always keep in mind. For a long time I thought that by buying the best stuff I could spend my way out of having to be patient. Yes, I was wrong. You can't buy time and time seems to be the best remedy for a lot of problems that I've run into. Slow down, enjoy the GDM and read as much as you can. At this point reading is about all I'm doing while all the hardware changes I've made in my tank settle themselves down adn break in.

I know I have to be patient I'm just hte kind of person that plans every thing way ahead. I'm always looking for new info.

The one thing I have learned as my tank matured and I added more corals and fish, is that, the more I add the more maint. I have to do on my tank. I am now to the point to where water changes will no longer replace nutrients back into the system and have now began to dose. Best advice I can give is see how things do with what ya got now. Keep testing and doing wc's and once things get settled in then start adding some more. Little by little seems to be the best bet with Reefs. I myself am still "green" and learning. But everyone on here knows alot and will steer ya in the right direction. Keep it up, your doing a great job!

slowly add to your tank, i am at 2 years and am still not fully stocked, i have a rule of thumb, 1 fish a month and 1 coral a week, hasnt done me wrong.

Back