IceCap Gyre 3k...dialing in the flow settings.

vols22

Market
Reaction score
I bought an IceCap Gyre 3k recently for my red sea e260, which is a 55 gallon display, and I am having problems dialing in the flow power and settings. It is blowing sand all over the place and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this gyre or any other for that matter in a 55 gallon or similar setup. Thanks!

It does add a ton of flow... and sand is going to move. I think you can mitigate it enough by making sure its close to the surface aiming it across the top and having it on the pulse setting so you get more of a rocking motion versus just blowing in one direction...

Thx from the input, I'll try that out later when I get home. I like the flow output, I just have a deep sand bed and it's blowing sand all over my lower corals. It definitely distributes the flow a lot better than a single head.

Have you tried the Gyre mode with flow going across the top of the tank?

@dball711 I just tried it and dialed it in to -10% to 10%. I also moved some rocks to the far end of the tank to block the sand from blowing everywhere and it worked wonders. I am going to try to up it to 20% tomorrow to see what happens. I think having that rock wall really helped. After getting those acros from you I wanted to make sure they were happy. The 2 encrusting montis are as happy as can be at the lower end of my tank and the 3 sticks I have been gradually moving up with my magnetic frag rack. They all seem happy and I want to keep it that way!! Any tips you have for acros will be more then welcome from you. All my parameters are stable since I do water changed once a week. I just want the lighting and flow to be perfect as well. All my other corals like the better flow as well...after I stopped the sand from blowing around haha.

Back