Icecap in Tek fixture?

cr500_af

Market
Reaction score
Could one install 2 icecaps in place of the factory ballasts in a Tek 6x54 T5 fixture, or is there not enough room? I think the light with factory wattage will do, but I'd like to overdrive it if I can.

If not, go to ACE Hardware and buy some wire and hook them up externally. You'll be very pleased with the output, after installing the Icecaps ballasts.

Just in case you need it, here's a link for a PDF file showing the 660 and 430 wiring....

a>

There is no chance that the ICs will fit in the tek, or any other fixture I have seen. I dont know the true dimentions of the ICs, but I can guess that the 660 is about 10"L x 4"W x 2.5"H. New ICs also include the harness, which should be all teh wire you need to hook them up externally as well, assuming you are remoting them at a great distance.

Externally is the way to go, and would actually benefit the ballast by keeping it cooler and giving more space in the fixture for fans/cooing devices. It should be easy enough to do. The only thing else to consider is that the lamps will really need a good cooling system, so get ready to cut some holes for fans in the tek. I think it would be neat and worthwhile, though.

Yes...Cool the bulbs...makes them last longer...everyone says that it shortens the life of the bulbs overdriving them...i read that if you cool them you can get 12months out of actinics and 15-18months out of the daylights...overdriving these bulbs in that fixture well deff punch the light alot deeper in the tank...make sure to raise the lights for a couple weeks slowly letting them down...i bleached alot of acros when i started overdriving mine...now they are happy again...would make a nice build thread or diy thread...i would also be interested in helping...i have another ice cap ballast that needs to be rebuilt (70bucks with shipping) that you could have for like 20 if interested...love tinkerin and modding stuff...i am such a rebel...haha

Back