Ich Question

coolsurf

Reaction score
Currently I am treating my first case of MI in my reef tank and so far, winning the battle. My question is whether or not I should conduct routine water changes while I am treating with the medications or will this throw everything off? Since I am heavily feeding I am a bit concerned my NO3's will rise...so far so good. By the way, I am using reef safe products.

Thanks everyone here in ARC...you've all been very helpful along the way since I started.

coolsurf;267013 wrote: Currently I am treating my first case of MI in my reef tank and so far, winning the battle. My question is whether or not I should conduct routine water changes while I am treating with the medications or will this throw everything off? Since I am heavily feeding I am a bit concerned my NO3's will rise...so far so good. By the way, I am using reef safe products.

Thanks everyone here in ARC...you've all been very helpful along the way since I started.

IMHO, there is no reef safe ich medication that is of any value whatsoever. Continue water changes, but I would reconsider using those products.

Jeremy is right, your heavy feeding is probably what is helping the fish naturally battle the ich.

I kicked ich by using garlic and omega supplementation of foods, then I fed heavily several times a day. Also I added a large UV to my system.

If this is the case waterchanges shouldnt hurt. But if you are convinced that the medication is what is working, you may just have to see if the label has any directions for redosing the new water.
Good luck.

I started using garlic real early and turned up my temp. I had an overnight takeover after the first night and the ich became freeswimming the following day sometime. I started with antibiotics and ich treatment dosing and the dots (knock on wood) have not reappeared as of yet. The tank is due for another dosing today so I figured the water change probably would not hurt too bad. It may have been the garlic but the rest could not have hurt either. I know one thing, I don't ever want it again!

Thanks Barbara. I agree with your philosphy ie new fish. I think the garlic is the secret once you see it even though I am sure many would disagree with me. The fish look great right now so I am hoping that everything will pass. I will for now non continue feeding garlic foods. I think the other thing is understanding ich and the 4 stages once it is recognized and how to combat it at that point. Amanda at Creation Reef really helped me with understanding it and what to do. I owe her a world of thanks. Thanks everyone for your input....proud to be part of ARC.

I am very glad your fish pulled through. It's crazy when you try to explain to people os the hobby about how you are trying to nurse your fish back to health and they look at you weird. No matter what, you become attached. i appreciate your input as well as everyone elses. I hope (and feel) that this story will have a happy ending!

Thanks....

Back