Ick gone?

joseayes

Market
Reaction score
Could I have erradicated ick or it just went to another stage?

I haven't been the best on quarantine my new comers, I'd do of course if my space wouldn't have been limited for now, also about the fish source I have doubts if they also do the quarantine, hopefully they do. Anyway, I haven't loss but only one of the fish that I've added in the past 8 months but only one had shown signs of ick, I know it could spread and I know it can stay in the water columns, but when introduced he was fine, after almost 15 days he showed white spots, he became eating as a piggy after 5 days, he's been very active and playfully, never stop eating or fins never clumped, the spots lasted about 5 weeks, now he's been without them for a month and a half. Among 5 fish total he was the only one infected, so I think was just an unbalanced immune defense, weakness and now that he has gotten fat he was able to get well? But still, the parasite/eggs would remain in the water column until it finds another hostage?

Recommendations? Anything else than hyposalinity, garlic food or quarantine? Even leave the tank itself alone with out fish for determined time.

Who else has had a similar problem?

Thanks.

The ich is still there so you need to decide if you are going to eradicate the ich or manage the ich.

To manage:
<ul>
<li>Keep stress low by keeping the tank stable (temp, PH, salinity, etc).</li>
<li>Maintain a low bio load (less fish).</li>
<li>Feed food supplemented with garlic.</li>
<li>Quarantine all new fish.</li>
<li>Cross your fingers that it doesn't come back for a long time.</li>
</ul>

Eradicate:
<ul>
<li>Remove all fish to quarantine tank and treat with medication or Tank-Transfer-Method.</li>
<li>Allow tank to remain empty of fish for a minimum of 72 days.</li>
<li>Make sure main tank and quarantine tank are separated by enough distance that water from one doesn't contaminate the other.</li>
<li>Do not use tools (nets, tongs, etc.) from one tank to the other.</li>
<li>Cross your fingers... some strains of ich can live longer than the 72 days fallow period.</li>
</ul>

Yes... I've gone through it. Never had ich in the seven years the tank was set up. Then I acquired a new tang and had to leave town on business unexpectedly. Quarantine tank was not set up, so I got in a hurry and right into the main tank he went. Lost most fish over a three week period including a pair of clowns, gold flake angelfish, Achilles tang, white tail bristle tooth tang, and others. Although severely infected the purple tang survived. A goby, hawk fish and green wrasse showed no signs. I've done nothing to treat the tank yet</em>.... but have not (and will not) add new inhabitants and am in process of setting up a new quarantine tank. At such time I will remove the three fish and leave the main tank fallow for 90 days.

It's always a good idea to quarantine fish. A quarantine, however, won't help a fish from getting the ich that's going to remain in your tank.

Thanks for the reply everyone!!!

Yes, those are nice ideas,  wouldn't imagine what is lost those really nice looking fishes and specially when they have been living with us for long time, happened to me long time ago when I had freshwater Oscar's.

I think there's lots of mistakes already in my procedures, obviously not quarantine first, lack of it due to space, second is the new introduction of fish thus increasig the bioload, when I started this biocube I've got some nice nano suited gobys and other small fish, tank was stable in all parameters, then, same as others fellas here, went out of the town, came back and all of my nice fish was gone, also my niece decided to help remove stuff from my tank while I wasn't home (???) Lastly decided to keep a damsel tank, after the tank stabilized and none of the damsels shown any illness, decided to try nicer, more peaceful and friendly fish, while most stayed healthy only the Royal Gramma had show ick, seems like it's been gone for now, he was the only skeptic guy at eating at the beginning, might be a little stressed, but now he eats and shows more, he's always hungry and less hiding than before, his fins looks fine too, and I agree for what I've previously read, that darn ick would be just waiting there for another host.

Back