Ick

williereefer

Supporting
Reaction score
Have 30 fish with ick and will be upgrade within under 2 months but don't want to carry it over to my new tank what would be the step I can take

You need to decide to take one of two choices. Live with ich in the tank and manage it via the fish's natural ability to build partial immunity (good food, low stress, etc) or keeping the organism out of the tank via treatment, fallow, and long QT/preemptive treatment

For now you could turn the heat up a little bit, soak foods in garlic (to stimulate appetite - not a cure) and hope they pull though. But realistically you need to get the fish into QT because dosing copper would destroy everything in the tank.

How to qt 30 fish tangs,clownfish,trigger fish,anthias, angelfishes, dottyback,basslet what size qt chould house them comfort enough to make it through treatment

That's a lot of fishies... If you don't have any coral in the tank... you could run the tank at hypo salinity of 11 to 12 ppt for 4 weeks.

Im really tough spot I have coral plus its a mix of fishies small medium large tang heavy

Put your coral, inverts, and anything that you want to save in another tank, a temporary tank, etc...without fish, you wouldn't need much filtration.

Then treat the display with Seachem cupramine.

Or, get a large tub (temporary tank), and move all fish to that and treat with cupramine.

a>

I would worry about treating the Display tank with copper....wont all the equipment be affected and contain elements of copper? Or maybe if you run enough carbon after the medi process it will pull it all out?

The best treatment that I'm aware of is to remove all the fish from the tank and treat them separately then allow the DT to go fallow. You've got an uphill battle on your hands. I've only successfully treated fish with ick once and that was by removing them and treating them completely separate of any environment.

You said you're upgrading to a bigger tank? Will it be going in the same location?

I would likely follow the advice above and move everything but the fish into another tank or tub and treat all fish with Coppersafe for 30 days then monitor for a couple weeks. Since all coral and inverts are separated too, they should be good to go in new tank even sooner.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Also if you have a UV hook that up to whatever tank you decide to treat. While it will only help to kill the ich in their free floating stage, that's better than nothing.

xilez;1106023 wrote: I would worry about treating the Display tank with copper....wont all the equipment be affected and contain elements of copper? Or maybe if you run enough carbon after the medi process it will pull it all out?

That's a myth. The tank itself will not 'absorb and leach' copper.

Substrate, rock... that's another story.

Also, the whole 'garlic' thing has been mostly debunked, it's not the miracle cure it was once thought to be and in fact, it may do more harm than good - I'll admit I was on the garlic bandwagon for a good while, but the research contraindicates its use.

30 sick fish - that's a tough one. What size tank are they in now, and what kinds of fishes are they?

Jenn

JennM;1106429 wrote: That's a myth. The tank itself will not 'absorb and leach' copper.

Substrate, rock... that's another story.

Also, the whole 'garlic' thing has been mostly debunked, it's not the miracle cure it was once thought to be and in fact, it may do more harm than good - I'll admit I was on the garlic bandwagon for a good while, but the research contraindicates its use.

30 sick fish - that's a tough one. What size tank are they in now, and what kinds of fishes are they?

Jenn

100% correct

Back