ID HELP

ZapataInc

Supporting
Reaction score
So I was looking at my Kenya tree coral and I noticed these little things hanging out on the rock. Good, bad, or ugly?IMG_20190801_173719~2.jpg

Interesting find, and a great photo!

Looks a little like they might be a type of hydroid (neutral or bad), or a type of filter feeder like foraminifera (good).

But honestly, I haven’t seen this one before. And when in doubt; quarantine and observe!

Interesting find, and a great photo!

Looks a little like they might be a type of hydroid (neutral or bad), or a type of filter feeder like foraminifera (good).

But honestly, I haven’t seen this one before. And when in doubt; quarantine and observe!
If I were to QT how will I know if it is bad or not?

Well, one signs of it being bad/unwanted is aggressiveness; How quickly does it grow/spread? And when it does, does it’s sting hurt other corals or fish?

Most likely, everything will be fine if you don’t QT it. It’s just that, after many years in the hobby, many of us prefer to QT for that small possibility.

QT also gives you time to research with minimal risk.

Hopefully, someone else here has seen this one before.

Well, one signs of it being bad/unwanted is aggressiveness; How quickly does it grow/spread? And when it does, does it’s sting hurt other corals or fish?

Most likely, everything will be fine if you don’t QT it. It’s just that, after many years in the hobby, many of us prefer to QT for that small possibility.

QT also gives you time to research with minimal risk.

Hopefully, someone else here has seen this one before.
That Kenya tree has been in my tank for over a month. Is that enough time to tell if it's bad or not?

That’s a judgement that is up to you; and depends on how conservative you are when it comes to unwanted visitors inside your tank.

For me; definitely not enough time. Not until I have observed it’s behavior and/or identified its species.

That’s a judgement that is up to you; and depends on how conservative you are when it comes to unwanted visitors inside your tank.

For me; definitely not enough time. Not until I have observed it’s behavior and/or identified its species.
Can I just frag it off of the rock and attach it to another rock?

You could; but that’s no guarantee it would be helpful. I’ll call you; and can answer any questions that I am able.

Meanwhile, let’s hope that somebody else can ID it.

My first thought was some sort of digiate hydroid. Can you tell if they're connected at the bottom? Are they all on what looks like a mesh like GSP or are they totally stand alone. Have you got any random zoas on a frag plug? You can put a zoa or some other softie next to them and see if they sting or not.

My second thought was a bunch of little kenya trees but I've never seen anything like that in my system. Usually by the time I notice a new kenya tree popping up, it lok ljust like a tiny adult. What's the color on them?

My first thought was some sort of digiate hydroid. Can you tell if they're connected at the bottom? Are they all on what looks like a mesh like GSP or are they totally stand alone. Have you got any random zoas on a frag plug? You can put a zoa or some other softie next to them and see if they sting or not.

My second thought was a bunch of little kenya trees but I've never seen anything like that in my system. Usually by the time I notice a new kenya tree popping up, it lok ljust like a tiny adult. What's the color on them?

My lights just went out so I'll have to check tomorrow. But when I looked earlier I thought they were seperate. And I do have some Zoas on a frag plug. I'll try it tomorrow. And they look white.

If they are digitate hydroids they'll pack a nasty sting but they don't tend to spread like the colonial varieties. That's a plus and usually they sort of resolve on their own.

Would it sting the Kenya tree? I saw what I thought are some growing on it's trunk. Like at the bottom.

The little white thing looks like a pineapple sponge but it wouldn't be growing on the body of a kenya tree so I guess I don't know what the heck it is. I do know that sometimes the base/stalk of a kenya tree or leather can get really thick and kinda grow into what looks like a piece of the rock and you can see that some on yours. However, it's certainly not doing that where the little white thing is. The more I look at it, I'm starting to think they're just baby kenya trees but I'm really just guessing.

If you're worried about it, bring it over and I'll throw it in my tank. Worse case scenario I have to nuke the system and that's actually on the agenda anyways.

Back