I'd like to enroll in Coral 099.

cr500_af

Market
Reaction score
Hi,
I've got my FOWLR 75 gal tank up and running, and I'm anxiously awaiting when it's mature. I realize that's down the road.

What I would like to do is get a basic working knowledge or coral keeping, so that down the road when the time comes I'll know what to do and hopefully have the required equipment in place.

I'm thinking easier, hardier corals, at least in the early stages.

I know my lights have to get an upgrade (right now I have a NO 48 single tube full-spectrum flourescent).

I know I'll have to start monitoring (and doing something about) water parameters I don't presently check (e.g. calcium).

I know that some of the things like PH, SG and temp for FOWLR may not be what I want for corals.

I have adequate flow (two Koralia 4s, and thanks to LilRobb's advice, they are working without causing tornadoes in my sand bed), skimming and heating. My initial fill was with filtered & treated well water, but from here on out all changes and topoffs will be RO.

Can anybody point me to a beginner's guide, or maybe give me some advice on lighting on a budget as well as what I would want to do with my water parameters leading up to diving in?

Thank you!

If you want to and have time, ride 3 mintues up the road and we can go over some basic stuff and drink a beer or 20

Whatcha got on your plate this weekend? Not literally; I'm not fishing for a dinner invite... The wife's out of town so I'm free to do what I want for a (short) while.

So, let's say a person was thinking of using an inexpensive lighting setup... like a 48" 2-bulb HO Coralife. With a tank depth of 18", what sorts of corals would do well in the tank, assuming the water parameters were correct for them?

I guess what I'm asking is could someone gloss over some of the hardier coral types so that I can begin learning about them?
I'd also be interested to know if the above-mentioned light is decent for this situation, or should I be shopping for a 4-bulb setup even if it means having to hunt for something used.

Barbara,
Yes, sorry I'm talking T5s. In particular, I spoke with Sal at Saltwater City about them, and the way he phrased it is "they are called high output but they aren't true 55 (or maybe he said 54) watt bulbs". They have one white, one acitnic on the same circuit so they both run whenever the light is on.
Does that make it clearer?

Barbara;312092 wrote: Oh, and if you join the ARC, our members would probably shower you with free frags of the above mentioned softies, plus you get a 10% discount at all our sponsor stores.:D

That would have been done already, but I'm trying to get my Paypal acct redone... I have forgotten the PW, and NONE of the contact info to retrieve it is current anymore... address, email, cell, nothing. I haven't used it in ages. The problem with just starting over is my CC is already tied to that account and I can't use it on another one. I may just have to come to the next meeting...

Back