ID (little shrimp?)

petrasb

Market
Reaction score
I have noticed at night time when I use a flash light, I see very small things swarming around that look like baby shrimp. I lost my 2 cleaner shrimp 2 weeks ago and I thought it was them having babies, but there are still thousands of these little creatures.
They seem to hide in the sand & come out to swarm the light at night. Has anyone else seen this or know what they might be?

Agree they are very good for the tanks. Fish eat them and its a good sign. As a tank ages you will see more and more. People have refugiums just to grow the PODs for the fish.

I have a 75gal fuge and there are many small & big pods in it. These little things look just like a shrimp though. They even have a fan like tail and swim with a kicking motion. I wish I could get a pic, but they are just too small.

Prob not pods... sounds more like Mysis shrimp... either way, good for your tank!

Yeah definitely Mysis. Every month or so I look at my tank at night at just the right moment and there is a HUGE swarm. They must all hatch at the same time.

Yes, not every night, just onece every 2 weeks or so.
Maybe I can get a Mandern Blenny now! I have been up for 10 months now.

ankur1113;60533 wrote: Anyone know where to get some live ones from(Mysis)

Ya, My tank!!! Seriously though, I am going to start to culture them if there seems to be enough of a demand!!!

yea i think it would be good if u cultured them so that peoples seahorses can get some live food.

petrasb;60531 wrote: Yes, not every night, just onece every 2 weeks or so.
Maybe I can get a Mandern Blenny now! I have been up for 10 months now.

What size is your tank? Mandarins feed constantly and can wipe out a pod or mysis population very quickly if the tank is small or the pods don't have a safe place to breed, such as a refugium.

I keep a mandarin in my 125 (with 58 gallon fuge) and he's fat and happy, but when I had two in there, they were both very thin.

I have cought them before and put them in my refug in the basement, during the "hatch time" I guess, all I have to do is turn my luner lights up and they swarm to the surface and I scoop them out with a cup.
I don't know anything about culturing them.
I would gladly trade something for them. There wouldn't be much notice though, becouse I never know when I can get them.
I live near the mall of ga.

Back