ID please; some sort of plant?

daitheflu20

Market
Reaction score
getattachment1nk6.jpg
alt="" />
getattachmentaspxmg2.jpg
alt="" />

Sorry the pictures arent the best as my phone is all I have at the moment. These green things have been in the tank for about 6 months. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
-Nathan
my.php

Yep, that is a good ID... Get rid of it NOW. It will over run your tank and NOTHING really eats. Ask Dough, he has been fighting this stuff for YEARS!!!

Xyzpdq0121;129543 wrote: Yep, that is a good ID... Get rid of it NOW. It will over run your tank and NOTHING really eats. Ask Dough, he has been fighting this stuff for YEARS!!!

I saw Ramone's tank, and he has this stuff too (or something pretty similar), and has had it for a while -- he said that he was warned that it was a pest, but he said it has done nothing in his tank but sit there and look pretty.

on the other hand, here is a post from wetwebmedia:

Riding Out a Neomeris Algae Bloom
Hello,
<Hi! Scott F. here this evening!>
I have a 125 gal. reef that in its beginning, I added some lace rock at the recommendation of an aquarium shop where I live. It seemed to introduce the Caterpillar weed (Neomeris annulata) algae. I crop it to get rid of it, but it accumulates rapidly. I have tried yellow Tangs, Scopas, and yellow eye tangs. None seem to eat it snails and crabs also stay away. Do you have any recommendations to get rid of it? Thank You. Shawn
<Well, Shawn, this algae tends to be difficult to eradicate, as you have suggested, and few herbivorous fishes will touch the stuff, as you are now aware! I think that this species is infinitely more "desirable" (ok, make that "tolerable") than the disgusting Bryopsis, or other nasty algae. They are actually kind of interesting, as their thalli contain calcium-sort of like an ugly version of Halimeda, if you will. In my opinion, the best way to get rid of this stuff is to do what you've been doing- yank out what you can, and ride out the "invasion". These algae tend to disappear once the tank gets more established, and less abundant supplies of nutrients are available to them. Of course, other algae will arise to take their place once things get going, so an ongoing nutrient control/export program (i.e.; water changes, use of chemical filtration, protein skimming, and general good husbandry techniques) will really help you reduce or eradicate future nuisance algae growths. Be patient, hang in there, and you'll see these fuzzy little algae start to disappear. Good luck! Regards, Scott F>

So unless you want to play Russian Roulette, the best thing to do is probably yank it before it gets established as Brandon suggests.

I was actually wanting some, 'cause it looked cool in Ramone's tank, but now I don't think I want it anymore ...

It is calcium based and it was my understanding this stuff doesn't take off like a weed but I could be very wrong. I also thought Doug had some form of caulerpa in his tank.

Naw, this is what had taken over doug's tank. It is calcium based, that is why you have a hard time finding anything that will eat it. Doug thought it was pretty cool looking a few years ago. Nice white at the base, to a bright green hook in the tank almost looking like styrofoam in texture. Ya real nice, but now that it had taken ahold in his tank, he can pull the stuff everyday and it still keeps coming back! It has taken over most of the surface of his rocks.

I'll probably just pull it then when the lights come back on. It may be just about the most interesting thing in my tank besides the fish but not worth the fight of pulling it every day if it were to get out of hand.
Thanks for the quick ID.

Oh yeah, I've had them. :sick:

Neat aglae and Cameron is right about them being calcium based. Cameron is wrong that it can take off and over run a tank. It may not be common for that to happen but it can. See this link http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1254978&highlight=Neomeris">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1254978&highlight=Neomeris</a>

On or two ar nice and I would not ness. worry about them. When it gets to a dozen I would start worrying.

Pulling the out may work, but you most get the whole piece. They tend to be firmly attached to the rock. If it gets out of hand as it did in my tank pulling it does not work. See pix of one of my rocks. Then a rabbit fish made quick work of if in my tank.

Actually if you have a few they are not bad and I like the added diversity. Again when it's plague...............
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend> [IMG]http://atlantareefclub.org/boards/data/uploads/attachments/129792=7950-4298Neomeris3.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg>
129792=7950-4298Neomeris3.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="4298Neomeris3.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

dough;129792 wrote: Oh yeah, I've had them. :sick:

Neat aglae and Cameron is right about them being calcium based. Cameron is wrong that it can take off and over run a tank. It may not be common for that to happen but it can. See this link http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1254978&highlight=Neomeris">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1254978&highlight=Neomeris</a>

On or two ar nice and I would not ness. worry about them. When it gets to a dozen I would start worrying.

Pulling the out may work, but you most get the whole piece. They tend to be firmly attached to the rock. If it gets out of hand as it did in my tank pulling it does not work. See pix of one of my rocks. Then a rabbit fish made quick work of if in my tank.

Actually if you have a few they are not bad and I like the added diversity. Again when it's plague...............[/QUOTE]

I have had it for 2 years, but it never has looked like your huge patch. Mine is just a head or 2 here and there on 1 rock. I pull a few every once in awhile.

Back