ID please

lilrobb

Market
Reaction score
What is that pinkish coral growing on my piece of rubble?

(Very cool looking - and seems to have kinda mouth in the middle)

Robb

They're TINY - I have a hard time seeing the smaller ones but they all seem to somewhat "pulse"...

Robb

Baby plate I bet.

LPS corals have an amazing rebound ability. That dead plate probably had some living tissue left in it and it slowly recovered. THis is not unusual, and I have seen other plate corals do this. Sometimes they even become baby factories, spitting off new ones pretty often. Must be some kind of survival mechanism.

I never hesitate to buy dying LPS corals in a fish store if they are drastically marked down because of this. I have bought an Acan Maxima, Bubble Coral, and a Blasto Welsi colony that were dying, and all have bounced back, and fairly rapidly.

Did the original plate die on you or did you pick it up from somewhere?

This was part of Mark's sand he gave me - I saw some "unusual" pattern on the piece of dead coral and put it in my tank (instead of the sump like the rest).
These pink tips appeared shortly thereafter.

What are the lighting requirements for those?

Robb

Definitely looks like what was described at the frag meeting. Said they start popping off babies and you can knock them off by touching them. Good find, dude!

Thats not a rock, its a big plate skeleton. Those are offspring "rising from the ashes".

And what size would be good to take em off the mother?
Obviously not too late when they get big and really hard to break off - but also not so small that you need to worry about them floating away.

Looks like a plate coral. I had a small one that fell behind all the rock work and was upside down for about 6 months.

Then i decided to do a rescape and found it but thought it was dead. I left it in the tank and put it in a nice spot and it came back to life.

Pretty cool!

Now, that we all agreed these are baby plates - a little accident today.

One of the food pellets for my goby fell directly onto the coral - please see the pics where the 'baby' manages to eat an impressively large pellet.

I mean it's too late now - but is that bad?

Robb

Pics in chronological order...

I found that amazing. I might start feeding that to my corals if it doesn't harm it of someone advises other wise.

There is nothing wrong with that. LPS love any type of food. That's how I got my trumpet coral to grow from 20 polyps to over 100 in a matter of a few months.

Just did a last check-up on her, and sure enough two blue legged hermits were tearing the pellet out.
I'm soo upset.
Took both and in the sump they went - the coral looks semi okay, afraid they ripped her open on their look for food.

LilRobb;298270 wrote: And what size would be good to take em off the mother?
Obviously not too late when they get big and really hard to break off - but also not so small that you need to worry about them floating away.

Eventually they will more than likely find their own way off.

When those baby plates drop off I would love to get one from you. LMK!
BZ

Hey Bob,

you did see my for trade thread today? Just wonder why you post here...
One for you, noted...

Back