Id Please

kirru

Market
Reaction score
I found this on my coral a while back but didn't realize how big it had gotten recently. Its putting out slime so I am not sure what it could be.

In the picture, it is the white thing in the middle of the GSP patch.
What do you guys make of it?

downsized_0325092131.jpg
alt="" />

In Jin's words, "Kill it, kill it with fire"!

I have no idea what that is...... It looks evil, there fore it must die.....

eh, i'm not sure it is a cucumber, not like I am going to touch it either. lol.

it opened on one end a little but closes to so I'll try to get someone of a better picture.

looks and sounds like a cuke. Pull it off the gsp, should grip, but not tear

JessPete;316200 wrote: eat it!
If i knew what it was I would with the intent of a consolation prize :D

Barbara;316181 wrote: Does it move, or stay in one spot? Is the exterior hard? It could be some sort of worm, but the bumps are throwing me off.
It hasn't moved at all, just getting bigger. I haven't touched it for feat of poison, but hey what the worse that can happen. lol

JessPete;316178 wrote: looks and sounds like a cuke. Pull it off the gsp, should grip, but not tear
When i figure out what it is, I'll remember the advice.

ares;316165 wrote: is it killing your GSP? cause if it is... you might have a gold mine on your hands if you can breed it...
Not killing per se. more like inhibiting the growth of the GSP. It's not growing nor are any polyps near the specimen in question.

Barb, I checked as I had to pick up some fallen corals. The body of the specimen is a hard as a rock(felt with tweezers). I accidently touched it also and the spines are pointy. and feels like a rock or something.

it looks to me like a stationary snail. i had a similar snail in my tank like that. does it let out thin strings of mucus that get covered with grubbage so it can then slurp it all back up? and does it have any plate like covering over one end, like a shield or something? they seem to have fairly good vision. mine would hide the second i sat down by the tank. it took about 5 to 7 minutes for it to open back up.

Barbara;316226 wrote: It's a worm. I thought so when you said it's open on one end. Do you notice a couple of tentacles or antennae coming out sometimes?

I had one get in my superman colony one time and I think it harmed the colony as the worm's "cocoon" got bigger. I would just take something hard and break the shell to try to kill the worm inside. (But that's just me. Some people would rather have the worm than the GASP. Up to you....)

Yup, I see some tentacles or eyes on one end. I think it is harming the colony as it gets bigger.

One kind of snail is it? The point of its existence?

Agreed. I had one growing on a snail. Took the snail out and cracked the worms shell. No more worm!

Roger! Roger! Commencing death of worm now. :) method of choice.... hammer... scratch that.... FIRE!!!!!

Back