ID Please

bberman

Market
Reaction score
This is a new tank that has been up and running for about 6 months. It was set up with mostly dry rock and some live rock from another tank that had been pretty well cleaned when I had to run a copper treatment.

I am pretty sure this is some type of sponge - I know everything I have read about sponges is they are good, however, there are hundreds of these growing in my sump, I have seen a HUGE bloom in these in the tank as well. they are mostly in the lower flow areas... but I would really like to find a way to get ride of them. I just had a Cyno breakout and had to put some Chemiclean in the tank and turn the lights off for 4 days... I have 0 phosphates (which I know is prob not true since the Cyno) but I am running carbon and Phosguard in a reactor.

Any help with ID and how to rid the tank I would appreciate it!
IMG_4937.jpg
alt="" />
IMG_4938.jpg
alt="" />

They're harmless filter feeders common to new systems. Once the silicates drop they will start receding. Lower flow and light areas is where they'll be.

You can manually remove them if you want to. Angelfishes will eat them.

They're good hitchhikers though - filter feeders. They are harmless and a sign of a healthy tank. IMO I'd let them be.

Jenn

Back