ID please

dave

Market
Reaction score
We picked up some live rock and found this hitchhiker. What is it and how do I keep it alive?

Thanks
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
193704=11666-ID.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
193704=11666-ID.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ID.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I'm not sure, because I've never seen one on a *stalk* like that, but it could be a http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/bta/not/majano.html">majano anenome</a>. If that's what you've got, it's a *bad guy*.

Good info [IMG]http://www.seahorse-nw.com/Predators.html">here</a>.

looks like majano to me too, top down pic would help or dif. angle atleast

Buy a Caribbean peppermint shrimp or kill them with Joe's Juice or calcium hydroxide. Kill Kill Kill!

Thanks everyone. I'll kill it later but since it's in the sump and I'm not ready to move the rock to the display, we'll just watch it grow for now.

NOOOOOO.... REALLY BAD IDEA. I said the same thing about a month ago and now there are like 20 or thirty of the little guys in my tank. KILL IT NOW!!!

OK..OK..I get it. The Grim Reaper for them :ahh: ....guess I'll buy some cucumbers while I'm at the store and make me some pickles!

Thanks!

<span style="color: black;">I always kill apstasia by using a syringe filled with Lemon Juice from those little plastic lemons filled with juice. I inset the needle down through as close to the mouth as I can get. I would assume that would work with majano. I have never had any ill effects from Lemon either.</span>

I haven't had much luck with lemon juice at all, it just retracts and comes back. I've burned aptasia off my rock and pulled it off with tweezers with good luck. Take a lighter, not a lighter for a cigarette, but one for candles or whatever and burn the little SOB.

you can make a paste with kalk and put it over the nem...it will kill it for sure.

If all else fails, propane torches are $10 at HD :D

I always buy some insulin needles from the store bc they are so small its easy to get them in even the smallest aptasia, ive used scading hot water and lemon juice with great success

I use insulin needles and lemon juice too, but I've also heard something about injecting a hypersaline solution or calcium. Supposedly it's safer for the rest of the tank, but I've never done it and can't make any statement about the effectiveness of anything other than the lemon juice. My only complaint with the lemon juice is that it damaged a couple of nearby zoa heads the last time I did it. Maybe I was just overzealous, but based on how the crafty little booger had hidden in the middle of them, it was probably unavoidable.

Good luck getting rid of all traces of the little POS -I know it seems interesting now, but if you disregard everyone's advice to annihilate it now, we're sure to read a post from you in the future about how they've taken over your tank.

Back