ID please?

dave

Market
Reaction score
Ok..so a week ago my 16 year old says he saw a baby star fish. I thought he was crazy because we don't own a mommy starfish. And he hasn't added any rock or livestock for 4 months.

So what is this? It about the size of a pencil eraser.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
213780=12791-ID1.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
213780=12791-ID1.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ID1.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
213780=12792-ID2.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
213780=12792-ID2.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ID2.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Asterina starfish. Generally considered harmless. Typical hitchhiker.

Dave;213780 wrote: Ok..so a week ago my 16 year old says he saw a baby star fish. I thought he was crazy because we don't own a mommy starfish. And he hasn't added any rock or livestock for 4 months.

So what is this? It about the size of a pencil eraser.

It's a star fish.....

corvettecris;213782 wrote: Asterina starfish. Generally considered harmless. Typical hitchhiker.

Thanks! I'm looking on wetwebmedia.com about them but can't find how BIG they get. Any idea?

they dont get very big...all of the ones i have ever seen in my tank stay about the size of the one in your picture

Asterinas. THey stay very small. Jin (futureInterest) is the resident expert on these and can identify the harmful from the harmless ones. Some will kill your zoas.

Well... Even the "bad" ones don't exclusively eat zoas from my observation. I'm trying to put together some photo evidence though for the unbelievers out there :). Anyways if you get me a pic of the topside of the asterina I can ID it for yah.

Back