Ideas for diy skimmer stand?

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
So I’m most likely going to need a skimmer stand. Looked on several online stores and feel like $50 and up is pretty pricey.

what have you used?

Nothing yet! Only tank I currently have up and running is my little QT. Guess we’re slow. Been spending the last 2 months researching, watching YouTube, joining ARC and buying. But soon we will be plumbing and then things will start happening a little faster (I hope). Was told my skimmer will most likely need a stand so just planning ahead. It’s what we do lol

I second the egg crate recommendation. I use a pair of wire cutter pliers and assemble with zip ties. If you want it to be pretty, then Tony is your best bet.
IMG_7095.JPG

Pretty doesn't matter, will be inside the sump which is inside the cabinet. Where do you get this egg crate stuff?

Pretty doesn't matter, will be inside the sump which is inside the cabinet. Where do you get this egg crate stuff?
Home Depot or Lowes probably the two easiest for the white stuff. It's around $15 a panel. If you know the size and height you need, I know I have leftover material here. There may be others closer to you.

It’s just “cheap” diffuser grating for 2x4 fluorescent lighting. As Cook said, the big box stores should have the white stuff. You’ll need a loan to afford the black stuff!

I don’t know what kind of footprint you need, but I begged some off of my LFS the other day to use as a “screen” top for my quarantine tank. Given all the loot I see in your build thread, yours probably owes you big time at this point! :D

Last edited:
Gathered all this stuff from various vendors and ARC friends. Can't really hit up anyone for a favor lol

What size do you need and what height or do you know yet?

What size do you need and what height or do you know yet?
I dont know yet as far as height goes. I know which compartment in the sump but until we get it plumbed and running won't know height. Now I don't even know when we will be able to get any more done. My husband fell from a ladder and fractured a vertebrae in his back so, along with no extra income, he wont be able to bend and reach and lift and push and pull for a while. TMI but we're kinda bummed after getting everything bought finally. I may have to put some rock in my QT tank for my poor little clowns.

It’s just “cheap” diffuser grating for 2x4 fluorescent lighting. As Cook said, the big box stores should have the white stuff. You’ll need a loan to afford the black stuff!

I don’t know what kind of footprint you need, but I begged some off of my LFS the other day to use as a “screen” top for my quarantine tank. Given all the loot I see in your build thread, yours probably owes you big time at this point! :D
Be careful with the egg crate as a lid, I lost a couple fish that way. It's amazing how small they can get when they want out.

I dont know yet as far as height goes. I know which compartment in the sump but until we get it plumbed and running won't know height. Now I don't even know when we will be able to get any more done. My husband fell from a ladder and fractured a vertebrae in his back so, along with no extra income, he wont be able to bend and reach and lift and push and pull for a while. TMI but we're kinda bummed after getting everything bought finally. I may have to put some rock in my QT tank for my poor little clowns.

OMG!! So sorry to hear that :((((

I’d offer to come help, but I’m assuming he’ll want to do that himself when he’s better?!

Be careful with the egg crate as a lid, I lost a couple fish that way. It's amazing how small they can get when they want out.

You are totally right!! I’m already on my second goby because the first one got out of my “perfect” cover. I should have mentioned that I have some polyfill on top of the egg crate. It’s mostly there as a breathable support. If it were a tang or clowns I’d be OK with just rhe crate.
Thanks for the warning, though!!

OMG!! So sorry to hear that :((((

I’d offer to come help, but I’m assuming he’ll want to do that himself when he’s better?!
No, we accept any and all help lol. We have no idea what we’re doing. @anit77 and @aestheticlibra already came a couple of weeks ago to take a look and give us a plumbing shopping list. Got everything but people do have their own jobs, families, tanks and projects too! We will get it figured out. Not to mention you are on the other side of Atl!

@NanCrab if you haven't found egg crate and plan to attend the next meeting, let me know. I have some extra parts that I'll bring for you.

No, we accept any and all help lol. We have no idea what we’re doing. @anit77 and @aestheticlibra already came a couple of weeks ago to take a look and give us a plumbing shopping list. Got everything but people do have their own jobs, families, tanks and projects too! We will get it figured out. Not to mention you are on the other side of Atl!

I am on the other side, but I’m retired so a day trip isn’t out of the question : D

You’ve been dealing with serious a-listers, but I’m happy to help if I can!

Back