ideas for mesh top?

atlweb

Market
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a top on my elos (plan on getting a wrasse and midas blenny).

Unfortunately my radion tank mount & chamber are in the way of a perfect square with clips. (also where do you buy clips for .25" glass?

Any ideas for a good way to cover this?

Picture below:

>

brad;1017516 wrote: I've always wondered about that. Egg crate is technically a light diffusor, would that have an effect on aquarium lighting?

I personally haven't used egg crate. I know the fish store uses egg crate on one of the cubes in the back. I didn't notice any problems in lighting

Egg crate does have a small effect on lighting, but, in my opinion, so does any other barrier you can use, screen, glass, mesh, etc. I don't think any effect it that drastically though.
The negative of glass is heat. The neg of egg crate is, the fish can't be smaller than the holes. I have heard of fish jumping thru, though it seems unlikely.

Could you make a mesh top for the whole tank. Put it on the tank so the frame is attached to the edges, then cut/modify openings for your equipment?

My tank is in wall(living room) and in closet(sump room) I built a screen canopy around lights and all equipment. An idea, but if your tank is in the living room, it's not real pretty. Just another option.

Thanks everyone! I definitely think making a mesh top is the best way to go. I'm trying to see if there are any ideas for getting it to fit well (with the light mount sticking out about a half an inch) and back chamber that sits level with the glass. I'd hate for a wrasse to find that small gap.

@shrimpybrains- I think your suggestion of just covering the whole top corner to corner is the best bet, it just may look kinda ugly to be sticking up on the rimless tank- may be my only option though!

Is mounting the light rack to the wall an option? I don't know how much adjustment you have.

The standard glass aquarium tops have a piece of plastic that clips to the glass and covers the rear of the tank, and openings can be cut out. Would something like this work?

Unfortunately not right now, on my next build I'm definitely going to have the lights hung or have a canopy.

Do you have a link to those plastic clips? I believe I used to have some on the solana, but I haven't been able to find them online.

Back