Ideas, products, knowledge learned to help a crash tank???

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
Anyone have good advice to help with tank crash.
My fish in inverts are OK other than hitchhikers such as pods brittle stars etc.
Almost all corals are struggling, most SPS dead.
It appears all of the food sources, good bacteria, and zooxanthellae is gone from my rock sand water column and corals.
An example is my purple tipped frog spaw is now almost translucent with clear tips and fat.
I have had zero algae on the glass or anywhere....
Any advice appreciated!!

I've been dosing with Red Sea A & B plankton and coral frenzy any ideas?

I have a decent-sized pest free piece of live rock with green mushrooms on it you can have if someone thinks it would help re-seed the tank.

3AF2AFCD-758A-44A9-8490-1848F696297E_zps02sz9vws.jpg
alt="" />
3AF2AFCD-758A-44A9-8490-1848F696297E_zps02sz9vws.jpg
>http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg495/hollifields/3AF2AFCD-758A-44A9-8490-1848F696297E_zps02sz9vws.jpg</a>[/IMG

If it would help absolutely, honestly IDK but I know your a keeper in my book!
Anyone got an idea? My rock literally appears blank of life. There are pink sponges left on some bottom rock but zero pods, stars, hitchhikers etc.

Deb, I wish I could help but I have no idea. I'm having a little bit of the same issue myself and it's affecting my nems and Super Yumas.

Hummm, in a mixed reef? Interesting that's it's affecting only these.

After talking with Jenelle I think mine is basically hurt from the electrical shock. It got most things that were small as well as stony coral or stony based corals, like Frogspawn...
I'm not sure the water temperature had much to do with it although my Apex shows I had a 12° temp change within 12 hours, OUCH!

Sorry to hear this , idk how to help other than to offer to house sometime if you fear loosing it or if you discover some other remedy , I have asternia stars and some limpets you can have to get some stuff crawling on the rocks again .
How could something like this happen ? could something have poisoned the system?
Good luck with it and lmk if there is anything I can do to help.

Camellia;1067987 wrote: Anyone have good advice to help with tank crash.
My fish in inverts are OK other than hitchhikers such as pods brittle stars etc.

microfauna will recover. Don't worry about it. Now's a good time to vacuum your sand bed during water changes. Do a section at a time; you'll be doing frequent wc's, so don't worry, you'll get to it all.

Camellia;1067987 wrote: Almost all corals are struggling, most SPS dead.

Remove the dead and focus on helping the survivors. What's survived will be hardy strains, so you have that going for you.

Camellia;1067987 wrote: It appears all of the food sources, good bacteria, and zooxanthellae is gone from my rock sand water column and corals.

Highly improbable. It looks worse than it is. Bacteria is very resilient and proliferates rapidly. I'm simply saying life, uh, finds a way (who gets this reference??).

Camellia;1067987 wrote: An example is my purple tipped frog spaw is now almost translucent with clear tips and fat.

Keep the water quality good and it'll be just fine. Have you ever seen the heads that are shaded? They can be WHITE..look like death, but they're perfectly healthy. Water changes and stability. Actually, Seachem's stability would be a good addition right now.

Camellia;1067987 wrote: I have had zero algae on the glass or anywhere....
Any advice appreciated!!

Cherish this moment as it won't last.

Camellia;1067987 wrote: I've been dosing with Red Sea A & B plankton and coral frenzy any ideas?

Stop doing that. You're polluting your tank. The best thing is stability and the simplest way to achieve that is water changes.

Why are you dosing "coral foods" anyway? Even in a healthy tank, they're mostly not worth doing.

Skriz;1068024 wrote: microfauna will recover. Don't worry about it. Now's a good time to vacuum your sand bed during water changes. Do a section at a time; you'll be doing frequent wc's, so don't worry, you'll get to it all.

Remove the dead and focus on helping the survivors. What's survived will be hardy strains, so you have that going for you.

Highly improbable. It looks worse than it is. Bacteria is very resilient and proliferates rapidly. I'm simply saying life, uh, finds a way (who gets this reference??).

Keep the water quality good and it'll be just fine. Have you ever seen the heads that are shaded? They can be WHITE..look like death, but they're perfectly healthy. Water changes and stability. Actually, Seachem's stability would be a good addition right now.

Stop doing that. You're polluting your tank. The best thing is stability and the simplest way to achieve that is water changes.

Why are you dosing "coral foods" anyway? Even in a healthy tank, they're mostly not worth doing.

Agreed. Slow and small changes. Stop adding things as they can cause you pain.

When something like this starts in any tank I have I quickly drop back to the basics.

1. Water quality - clean but normal. Not crazy ultra clean.

2. Feed the fish - this is really all the food the corals need.

3. Water changes every 7-10 days - this will keep all your parameters in line if you use decent salt.

4. No need to dose - may pick that back up if the corals start growing and there is a need indicated from testing.

5. Temp - keep it constant.

Maybe asking a member to help take in the corals ( renourish it back to health ) while u redo your tank again or just set up a temp tank with some hob filter + small decent light and help the corals get better first with different water. Clean out everything in that crash tank. My 93 cube almost crash like that when I get back from my 5 weeks vacation and now they bounce back fine. Let me know if I can help in anything. Even lending some hospital tank as well Deb

Skriz;1068024 wrote: microfauna will recover. Don't worry about it. Now's a good time to vacuum your sand bed during water changes. Do a section at a time; you'll be doing frequent wc's, so don't worry, you'll get to it all.

Thank you dear, you are most appreciated!
I trust in your knowledge and experience 100% (although you should see my plate right now, Ouch). I've read for hours and thought I was doing the right thing. I don't understand all of this dead stuff on the bottom of my tank, in my filter socks and skimmer...what is it and what nutritional could possibly be left in my system? I'll certainly take your advice where possible!
I've always felt I had a odd small bit of dyslexia, however I didn't think that it could occur with reading and knowledge gained from comprehension. Apparently wrong, I'm now feeling like one of the dumbest people on earth!
Seriously thanks for all your time and sharing your knowledge, obviously I needed it and then some!

BLACK REEF;1068037 wrote: Maybe asking a member to help take in the corals ( renourish it back to health ) while u redo your tank again or just set up a temp tank with some hob filter + small decent light and help the corals get better first with different water. Clean out everything in that crash tank. My 93 cube almost crash like that when I get back from my 5 weeks vacation and now they bounce back fine. Let me know if I can help in anything. Even lending some hospital tank as well Deb

Terry, Ehiem heater cracked, tripped breaker no heat or oxygen for eight hours, 12° temp swing in eight hours. I was thinking the electrical shock was the worst of it ... Answer :( stupid that's how!
So you both think moving them is best?

Sounds like a great idea to me and I've got a buddy close to me with an SPS tank that could certainly fit mine in somewhere. However I don't trust anything I think is right anymore so can I get some other feedback on this idea please??
Thank you, appreciate ya!

Thanks Nathan :)

Back