identify this algae

qasimja

Market
Reaction score
does this look like diatoms to you all? or maybe some other sort? i had diatoms when i first cycled the tank 3 months ago but they seem to have come back over the past 2-3 weeks everyday very heavy in the sand bed i have to clean the sand bed everyday to get rid of them maybe its time to change my rodi filters?

Attachments

• 20191101_134825.jpg
    20191101_134825.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20191101_134831.jpg
    20191101_134831.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
Is it dusty, or rather slimy like? Diatoms are usually more of a dusting. Dino is kind of goopy and you'll see a few bubbles here and there.

Is it dusty, or rather slimy like? Diatoms are usually more of a dusting. Dino is kind of goopy and you'll see a few bubbles here and there.
I don't see any bubbles but I haven't touched it to see it it's slimey I've just been stirring the sand bed everyday to get rid of it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yea im pretty sure you guys are right it's dinos for some reason it only grows on my sand bed like this guys guess I gotta do some research on how to best be rid of it thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ive been reading and it recommends using uv and this perticular strain of dinos that grows mostly on the sand is the easiest to get rid of as mine has been goin daily for 3 weeks and its not on the rocks just on the sand everyday i clean it and the next day its back again

I hope you are that lucky. My biocube has a type that grows everywhere and has been a nightmare. I was about to tear it down last week but I finally am getting it under control

I hope you are that lucky. My biocube has a type that grows everywhere and has been a nightmare. I was about to tear it down last week but I finally am getting it under control
and uv didnt work?

and uv didnt work?
There are many types of dinos and each of them respond to different things. Mine were brought on by my nitrates and phosphates dropping to almost nothing. I had to bring those back to the right levels and then use peroxide dosing and constant cleaning. At its worse i could clean all the glass and use a baster to blow it off the rocks and within 2 hours it would be growing again

same area this morning after the lights turned on

Attachments

• 20191102_104538.jpg
    20191102_104538.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
so ive asked on r2r and some say it looks like dinos some say it doesnt some say it looks like diatoms but ive never had such a heavy outbreak of diatoms like this its usually a very light dusting so im gonna order a microscope and confirm whether it is or isnt so i know best how to treat it so far ive been holding it at bay by stirring the sand bed once a day and at night whats left is gone by morning then i start the process all over

Back