If I were to have two pairs of clownfish..

alikat

Market
Reaction score
I have had some success in pairing two pairs of clownfish in one tank. My 55 currently has a pair of pink skunks and a pair of onyx. They all get a long well, even occasionally sharing anemones.

Here's my questions... I'm considering getting another pair for my 34. I currently have an all clown and all anemone tank and a pair of picassos in there. I'd like to maybe get a pair of black ocellaris, but am curious... Would they be okay in there, or should I maybe consider getting a different kind of clownfish?

Also, where can I buy a pair of black ocellaris locally?

Thanks!

It seems to be really hit or moss with clowns. Mark (flyingArmy) has no problems in his 160 cube. I tried a pair of ocellaris with my maroons and that was not a good idea...this was also in a 140g. In that small of a tank you run the risk of them fighting. If you were to try it, I'd say you might have luck because they are closely related....but that doesn't always mean anything.

I would try it. You will most likely have better luck if you add them at the same time and as juveniles.

glxtrix;169744 wrote: It seems to be really hit or moss with clowns. Mark (flyingArmy) has no problems in his 160 cube. I tried a pair of ocellaris with my maroons and that was not a good idea...this was also in a 140g. In that small of a tank you run the risk of them fighting. If you were to try it, I'd say you might have luck because they are closely related....but that doesn't always mean anything.

I got this particular pair of ocellaris from Lee, the ones he's referring to above, and thought it might be okay to put them in my 55g with my B&W Darwin percs (some call them ocellaris also). Lee had told me his clowns were very sweet-natured and had been bullied by the maroons, so I thought they'd be happy in a tank with other sweet and extremely mild-natured clowns. Bad idea. Maybe it's because Lee's clowns had been recently picked on and had developed a 'tude, but they immediately became different fish. They didn't attack my Darwins, but they trapped them and kept them held hostage in the top, back corner of the tank. The Darwins were freaking out, but Lee's clowns would not let them out of that corner.

So... Darwins into the nano and Lee's clowns now enjoying life in my newly set up 90g. All clowns resumed their sweet dispositions.

If you try mixing, watch carefully and just be prepared to separate if there's any conflict.

Wow Linda, thats crazy! Clowns will be clowns I guess. Lets all remember that they are in the same family as Damsels....and we all know how those things are!

glxtrix;169888 wrote: Wow Linda, thats crazy! Clowns will be clowns I guess. Lets all remember that they are in the same family as Damsels....and we all know how those things are!

I love both pairs and it would have been cool to have them in one tank, but you should have seen how fiesty your little guys got. No biggie though. I don't know why I didn't think about putting the Darwins in the nano to begin with. I put the huge pom-pom xenia rock in there that I got from Jorge, my pom-pom crabs, various zoas and rics and it's a pretty little display. Eventually I'll have it on my desk at work.

Ali -- keep us posted on how your clownfish combination goes. You probably want to avoid the really aggressive clowns like clarkiis and fire clowns.

Linda Lee;170115 wrote:
Ali -- keep us posted on how your clownfish combination goes. You probably want to avoid the really aggressive clowns like clarkiis and fire clowns.

As it stands right now, I'm planning on putting in a pair of B&W ocellaris with my picassos. Any suggestions on how to add them? Should I put the newbies in a breeder to let the picassos get used to them?

I have an extra tank, so if it doesn't work out, no biggie. Just thought it would be neat to have two pairs of clowns in my anemone tank. I now have 6 BTA's in there. Would be a shame to only have 2 clowns enjoying them!

The general rule is to never try and mix clowns of different species. Some people have made it work but there are more horror stories versus success stories.

I say that it's a "no-no" to mix perculas and ocellaris, especially in a 34 gallon.

Back