If only I had the ACjr

dsmitchell

Market
Reaction score
I came home today to find my tank at 86 degrees (from normally 80) because the wiring for the canopy fans must have come loose when I was in the canopy last night.

If only I had the ACjr to turn my lights off when the temp got to 81...

Oh well, let's hope I still have corals and such when I get to pick it up (hopefully at the barbeque)...

Thanks for listening,
David

Sorry to hear it. I think you will be OK as while 86 is hot as long as you didn't start cramming ice into the tank and let it come down on its own the corals probably had time to adjust. At least for SPS, many spend their lives outside of water in the blistering sun and do just fine.

It took about 3 hours to get the temperature back down to 80. So far I can't see any signs of casualties, but of course I will have to keep a close eye on everyone for the next few days.

Cameron: Interestingly I couldn't find any ziplog bags to put ice in yesterday -- otherwise I would have done that!

Thanks,
David

Oddly that is the kind of stuff that kills. It usually isn't pushing the extremes, it is going into or from them quickly. By lowering your tank temp slowly, everything has a chance to adjust. Dropping a tank 5+ degrees in an hour is probably more dangerous than getting it up to 86 to begin with. Fish and corals can be pretty forgiving as long as you do things slowly.

Back