If you could start over, what to do different?

jbadd99

Market
Reaction score
Other than the obvious of not start

I'm getting a full closet to house equipment in that adjoins the living room where the tank will be.

Looking for ideas of all magnitude.

My only hang up thus far is where to put the drain line for the RODI.

If I could do it over I would get a taller stand and a euro braced tank rimless suck.

Make the stand and canopy as access able as possible. Side doors in stand, and a tall canopy for easy access to the tank.

Rob a bank. Oh wait. Your a cop. Scratch that. :)

I am not sure I would Change a lot. I built my stand and canopy with ease of use in mind. I got a nice tank at a great price. I guess a splash guard would be it.

In addition:
1. At least 3 dedicated electrical circuits.
2. I love my utility sink, this is a "Got To Have" item. I am thinking of upgrading to the 40" wide tub that HD sells. With this and your RODI you will want water supply lines, drain lines, and maybe a 2" or larger floor drain in sump room.
3. Unless the closet is behind tank, maybe drains and return lines through slab.
4. Ethernet port near Tank/Sump Room.
5. Tall Ceiling in Sump Room would be nice too.
6. Of course HVAC vents near tank and sump room, or even a dedicated mini-split system in sump room and dehumidifier.

I am regretting not adding/using a sump room for my build, and am currently designing one before my system gets too far along to easily make mods.

Well besides donating as much stuff as you can to your favorite Mod... ;- )

Automate as much as possible and make water changes quick, fast and easy. Well as easy as you can with a 2 year old "helping" you. If you do not have any kids to help let me know and I'll loan you a couple. Mostly I would look at the things that you do not like and annoy most of all and find find for those.

I like the idea of having a salt mix container that can handle one bag of salt and having that container plumbed into your system. Water change time would consist of

- close off and drain and clean the container
- fill with RODI
- add salt and mix overnight
- open container

I'm sure that it would be possible to scale the system down to handle a half bag pretty easily.

Also, adding a controller to the system could help a bit for turning On/Off RODI, opening valves and such. Haven't figured out a way for the Apex to dump the salt in..... but give it enough time and some quality beers , it will happen.

Hmmmm, perhaps a auger system.

So what does your system look like now? Did the PEX line work out OK?

Opened a vent hole out the side of the house (like a dryer vent). Could plumb all sorts of exhaust and or clean air.

Otherwise, i planned mine fairly well thus-far.

Ringo®;1036255 wrote: Get another credit card my wife doesn't know about.

+1

Automation is key. We all WANT to take care of our tanks, but life gets in the way fairly frequently. Maybe you miss a few water changes because you can't find the time/motivation to be miserable for 30 minutes to 1.5 hours? The easier and quicker you make it, the more likely you won't find yourself saying "ugh, i'll just do it next weekend."

jbadd99;1036153 wrote: Other than the obvious of not start

I'm getting a full closet to house equipment in that adjoins the living room where the tank will be.

Looking for ideas of all magnitude.

My only hang up thus far is where to put the drain line for the RODI.

FYI - I run the RODI drain to a rain barrel in the backyard and use for watering plants etc. The waste water volume from RODI was one of the downsides I wanted to address when I installed mine. I installed the drinking water add-on so there's a lot of extra water going out.

My RODI drain lines waters my annual beds in my front yard (most demanding of landscape).
Except in April when the yards flooded!

Back