If you had it to do over .

Eric_n_Ga

Reaction score
Tank selection , if you had it to do over would you pick the same tank ? Would you want a different size or layout ? Did you go too small or too big? Too tall too skinny ? Just curious ?

I dont know that I would change anything about my current tanks. They were what i wanted and could afford at the time. Now that being said I always want a bigger tank. I would love to have a 300-600 gallon tank with some high end led t5 hybrid lighting all the high end equipment. Tho budget and space won't allow it right now

To do over, I would get a 5' tank that's drilled in the back for smaller overflow boxes. My 120 has 2 big weir boxes that take up tons of room and look ugly to me. I also think a more custom stand would be nice, I'd like to have a ledge around the tank and a nice finish would look great.

To do over, I would get a 5' tank that's drilled in the back for smaller overflow boxes. My 120 has 2 big weir boxes that take up tons of room and look ugly to me. I also think a more custom stand would be nice, I'd like to have a ledge around the tank and a nice finish would look great.
I'm thinking of building a custom stand with a ledge and a dedicated wet work area ,and like 47 paper towel racks :)

I really like the sub-70g size for my display. It helps that the smaller size fits my room but it's also nice size for additives, water changes and all that other stuff that can crank up the cost of a tank. I have been thinking about getting a new tank so I've been asking myself this exact question and here's what I came up with - rimless. The only thing I would (an someday will) change about my display tank is going the rimless route. When I set this tank up, LEDs weren't around and fixture were big, bulky an hot so a canopy made everything look nice. Now there are some sleek looking LED fixtures with matching mounting options and I really an thinking that's my future. Now to go tank shopping...

120 gallon minimum, no tall, no bow front. I like community tanks, so the larger, the better. Easier to respond to larger tanks, smaller tanks could be disastrous in a shorter amount of time if not caught.

i like more natural looking aquariums; easier on your eyes. By natural, I mean rectangular or squarish in shape. Best to get an idea of what tank mates you want and allow some room for updates. Some marine fish require lots of area to swim whiles others are just fine in smaller tanks.

wannabee

Well, we had to do it all over again, so to speak :). So, the tank we have now is what we decided to go with- 187 low iron eurobraced peninsula tank. Even our new frag tank is eurobraced. After losing tanks and multiple tank failures in the last year, eurobraced is the only way we can sleep soundly at night :). Also, metal stands only. No more laminate.

If I were to do it again, I may have waited about another year and got a custom 84x30x26 eurobraced. I then would have did an in wall set up with a 10x10 fish room built in my garage. I just never would have gotten my wife to sign off on that being or first salt water tank! Thats one reason I'm trying to go over sized and quality and everything so maybe I can make that upgrade in a couple of years! Just have to start by getting the wife to let me build the room in the garage first! Plus I have learned so much doing this one and met some great people along the way, which should make the next one even easier.

I’ve already made the change but I won’t go back to any tank taller than 24”. Love the look of a tall tank but it’s been so much easier to do in tank maintenance without getting my armpits wet since I’m a short guy. Stand height as well, with me being able to reach at least 3/4 of the way down and only needing the stool once in awhile.

I’ve also heard a lot of people specifically want shorter tanks, so they can easily reach everything. However, I prefer a taller tank; 30-32” tall for when I move again and get my next tank.

I also want the tank stand to be 38-42” high. No more bending down to look at the tank.

Of course, I’ll have a dedicated step stool for tank work. But generally, I’m not putting my hands in the sand, or even just the water, everyday. So it’s a small sacrifice of easy access for increased enjoyment.

Glass over acrylic... It's so much easier to care for. A clean acrylic tank looks better than glass but the diligence required for that is not in my wheelhouse.

I'm going to be doing it all over too, fortunately not do to a tank failure. I researched for quite a while before my 1st tank, a 210. I know not all people have the resources and/or significant other that would allow a big tank to be put in. If you can, I think a 120 would be a great smallest starting point. If not go as large as you can in the beginning. The extra volume really helps keep parameter swings in check and gives you more time to react.

Like Andrew just said, I wanted a somewhat taller tank too, that's why I went with the 30" tall 210. After having it for three years the only thing I would have changed is going with a 180 at 24" tall or lowered the stand from 42" to 36". Maintenance at that height was a pain and when something becomes a pain it eventually gets put off. With the new tank I'm going to be putting in I'm compromising on both fronts. 27" tall tank and 39" stand. I may even go a little lower on the stand.
Another thing I would have done different is not having the sump under the tank. Again, I know not everyone will have that ability, but if you can swing it that will also make your life a lot easier.

Oh.. to add to my eurobraced tank comment - I would also go with external overflow. I hate that the overflow box is taking up real estate in the tank.

that’s definitely on my list as well whenever the next build comes

that’s definitely on my list as well whenever the next build comes
If you're willing to drill a new tank then this is the way to go.

If you want to go that way but are too afraid to drill there are several members that would be happy to help you with it, myself included.

i had to do over again, i would just go ahead and buy an all inclusive tanks such as water box and red sea (although red sea is having some issue with their bigger tanks)

the reason being is that although i put in bells and whistles to my DIY stand/canopy, i was not able to achieve the glossy finishes that these manufucturers are able to achieve. can you park a Hummer on my stand? yes! will the stand/canopy outlast me? yes! but at the end of the day it's a furniture in the middle of the house and i would like to be as nice as possible.

i had to do over again, i would just go ahead and buy an all inclusive tanks such as water box and red sea (although red sea is having some issue with their bigger tanks)

the reason being is that although i put in bells and whistles to my DIY stand/canopy, i was not able to achieve the glossy finishes that these manufucturers are able to achieve. can you park a Hummer on my stand? yes! will the stand/canopy outlast me? yes! but at the end of the day it's a furniture in the middle of the house and i would like to be as nice as possible.

When I was typing my post I was thinking exactly the same thing. In fact, I ended up looking at all inclusive tanks that would fit in the spot I have. Seriously thinking about going that direction because I have the tanks in the basement that allow me to play with different configurations, hardware and setups.

Back