if you lived on a beach....

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
just out of curiosity....

if you lived on a beach could you technically just put some of the beach sand into a reef tank?

Also, what about pulling rock from the ocean floor (not from a protected reef)...would that qualify as LR?

I'm just thinking that if youlive somehwere like Miami you could set up a tank for much cheaper?

Are there any drawbacks to doing this?

i was always told the beach is the oceans skimmer. when all the crap is washed up it soaks up into the sand

I have read about people doing that and they didnt have any problems. Ive also read where people have done it and had tons of problems. For the most part we can control what goes in our tank by the products/livestock we put in it. Putting sand straight from the ocean will more then likely introduce things into your system you may not want to have and may not be good for your system. The ocean is alot bigger then our tank so having certain bacteria, animals,etc is ok but in our small slice of the ocean we need to be able to monitor what goes in exactly. Just my opinion

Ya "beach sand" would not be my first choice.

Most areas have some sort of laws against pulling from the ocean anything that could be considered alive including rock. Now there is a little known rule in most areas that if your home is on the beach, you property line might extend into the ocean and then you might be willing to collect anything that is not indangered. But that is alot of ifs...

thats what i figured...i was just kind of curious....sounds like something people would do.....

Back