I'm gonna build a mesh top -- here's the site

geno

Market
Reaction score
I've been concerned about my water temp and the contribution the glass top is making to the increase.

Tried the egg grate -- and while I'm getting used to it -- it's not my favor look -- got white -- wanted black -- could paint I suppose.

Anyway, found this aquatic mesh (cheap!) and I think if I build a frame out of something (not sure yet) I could use this mesh.

What do you think? I comes in black!!!

a>

IMO, I'd just rather build a canopy and be done with it. that way you dont loose any PAR from your bulbs. Unless you have a fish only....then Id say ok.

Rethink the black. It's going to absorb a lot of the light and darken your tank.

glxtrix;166840 wrote: IMO, I'd just rather build a canopy and be done with it. that way you dont loose any PAR from your bulbs. Unless you have a fish only....then Id say ok.

agreed. but if you must, look at this:

showthread.php

Amberjack;167020 wrote: I agree, the look of white eggcrate isn't the best but the material is made to withstand the heat generated by my lights. T5's about 4in. above the cover. I thought about using the material you showed but I was too concerned about it melting. Didn't want to paint it 'cause I'm sure the heat from the lights would release toxic fumes. I've gotten used to the eggcrate cover. Not too bad and it works, as long as you keep the holes to a minimum. Took too much out the back and left room for the jumpers.
The problem is that the eggcrate flat out WONT WORK! Fish will fit through it, even if they are remotely close to fitting through.

That netting has been used for quite some time with people with halides, so I wouldnt worry about it melting. But, alas, the choice is yours.

i built a top using some mesh fabric from a fabric store and then went to lowes and got the material to make a frame using a screen window frame kit, very cheap

Amberjack;167024 wrote: I guess that's true of alot of SMALL fish but my Six-line and Diamond Goby were twice as big as the holes in eggcrate. I find the eggcrate does work for most fish unless they're hellbent on leaving.
Thats what everybody thinks until they find their fish on the floor, or fried laying across the eggcrate. I could find hundreds of threads on RC where people 4-5" cirrhilabrus wrasses find a way through. Just a heads up.

I bought the chrome looking egg crate, later tossed them. They made my tank seemed darker. I went back to glass tops. MO' Better!

Wow, some excellent points have been made in this thread.

I can verify that the jumpers will indeed get through the egg crate -- that's how I lost my golden head sleeper goby! Some how she got through the top.

For, me I'm gonna try the mesh -- it seems it won't melt and is made for damp conditions. It's not too expensive so I'll get black and white and determine which looks best and doesn't reduce light too much.

I first saw that mesh while visiting Sam at AquaBuys -- he showed it to me on RC and was trying to find the mesh to build that very top -- he found the supplier who would not sell him any less that what would cover a football field (or some ridiculously large amount) so he has never moved forward with the project.

Thanks for the mesh post -- it looks like it's already just over 1/2 inch -- I'll try the other mesh and we'll all compare notes.

-gene

You know, I'm beginning to think my fabric purchase may have been a mistake -- based on dawgdude's comments about the restriction on light.

It looks like the link provided by dawgdude may be the best material.

I really wish this was simpler!:sad:

Back