I'm looking for a small herbevoir

dakota9

Market
Reaction score
I need a fish that eats these sporatic macros that pop up on frags I purchased. I also have some live rock I purchased 18 months ago that are sprouting macros now. They are cool looking but they are getting out of hand. Is there a small colorful fish that will take care of that?

Thanks

My son likes broccoli and spinach. I don't know about macro algae though. We could try a snorkel.

I have a one spot fox face in my 180, he eats everything but red slime. :)

Hey atleast theres hope, my son lives off of chicken nuggets and funyuns, which makes him completely useless in this case!

Anything smaller than a foxface? I was hoping something like a lawnmower blenny, but less replusive

Tim,

Dakota9;104646 wrote: Anything smaller than a foxface? I was hoping something like a lawnmower blenny, but less replusive

Tim,

Hey! I like the way lawnmower blennies look! :) I actually have 2 in my 180 and one in my for sale tanks.

I will get back to you on a small cute herbivore and see if I can get them.

Dakota, no tangs for you? I can't remember how big your tank is, but surely you have room for a small yellow tang.

Btw, to punish my son, I take away his veggies for dinner. You've never seen such a sad boy.

I'l look into it. My set up is a 36" 65 gallon tank, 90 gallons over all

What about a parrot fish, they will get larger than a fox face though.

I really think a fox face is your best choice or the lawnmower blenny.

Orange spotted blenny will also eat algae, but they have the same body type as the lawnmower.

I will keep digging around.

My tomini does an awesome job...would be something to consider

what type of macroalgae? NMany of the fish mentioned will not eat very fleshy or fibrous macroalgae. Rabbitfish in general are a good bety, but can grow big. Definitely NOT a parrotfish- they dont belong in the aquarium (they get big, and are very destriuctive). You may want to think about something like an urchin.

Victor626nj;104694 wrote: a tomini tang would be a nice addition and its very docile
Actually they are VERY aggressive, but assuming you've got some tough fish, one would work great on the macros...

flinster;104770 wrote: Actually they are VERY aggressive, but assuming you've got some tough fish, one would work great on the macros...

I have to disagree. Tominis (Ctenochaetus tominiensis) </em>actually dont have the proper mouth structures to grab, tear, and consume larger algaes. They are specialized at "brushing" off algae dustings. Hense, the name "bristletooths". While the few may learn to eat some larger algae, overall, they are rather ineffective against macroalgaes.

I am going to agree with the fox face, but their spines are poisonous and should be avoided they hurt!

rlmblm21;104746 wrote: Dakota, lawnmower blennies may be ugly, but they have the best personalities. Mine used to get really hyper when he first woke up in the morning and he'dd spazz all over the front of the tank. By evening he was tired and just skipped from rock to rock. They are great fish!

I love these blennies!!! Ours skipped from rock to rock, too.... but one time he skipped a little too high

:'(

Do all blennies eat macro algae? I've seen a few I like, but the lawn mower and the bi color blenny are my least favorites. I either need to do something quick fish-wise, or take out the scissors again and start trimming, which is a PITA because I have to hook up the gravel vacuum to ( I know, "here we go again....") The Magnum 350 so I can syphon it out of the tank as I cut it down as to not let it spread through the tank.

So.....what type of macro is it? Many blennies (inlcuding all the ones stated) will not eat fleshy macros like caulerpa. Many won't even eat low hair algae. First, you'll need to identify the algae before you can find a consumer.

I've tried to id this stuff, but can't find it. it's about 3" long, fiberous stalks, with a fern like head on the end. And of coarse, it's green.

Back