I'm lost

grouper

Market
Reaction score
I have a 90 gallon tank with four 54 watt T5s. I just changed the bulbs about 3 months ago. All water parameter are excellent. All fish and other stuff are doing well. The problem that I have is nothing is growing. I have zoas and star polyps that have bee in the tank for a long period. I thought that they would have taken off growing by now. Could there some other reason what the zoas and star polyps are not groing? Just trying to understand. :eek:

Do the T5's have individual reflectors? What kind of ballast do you have running them? It also wouldn't hurt to add some more....4 may be a bit on the shy side.

I do have reflector for each ballast. You think I dont have enough light? :yuk:

glxtrix;231048 wrote: Do the T5's have individual reflectors? What kind of ballast do you have running them? It also wouldn't hurt to add some more....4 may be a bit on the shy side.

I do have relectors for each ballast. I dont know what kind they are though. Mytank is in the wall so I dont have room for more lights. Should I get rid of the T5s and go with something else? :yuk:

dawgdude;231050 wrote: Reflector for each ballast? What brand reflectors do you have, what brand ballast? I have 6 overdriven on my 90 and can grow anything FYI.

grouper;231051 wrote: I do have relectors for each ballast. I dont know what kind they are though. Mytank is in the wall so I dont have room for more lights. Should I get rid of the T5s and go with something else? :yuk:
I think you mean each bulb not ballast because ballasts dont need reflectors. Are the bulbs HO or just standard t-5 also what are the perameters? If you cant get GSP to grow I would say there is a problem

I have a 4x 54w retro t5 from reefgeek and have no problem with zoa / paly growth. I have most of mine near the bottom. I will say I've had better luck when they get some flow. Bulb selection may help if your not using high par bulbs.

Barbara;231055 wrote: I would think you're on the shy side for lighting. When I purchased my 90, it came with 4 x 54W T-5s (High Output). It was enough to light the tank, but I don't think it was enough to get really good growth. I added 2 x250W MH and my lighting ROCKS now!

I do want to question you on the other "parameters" though. You say the parameters are good, but what are they exactly? And when you do water changes, how much water, and how often? What level is your temp? Your salinity? What kind of protein skimmer are you using? What's your feeding schedule and what else is in the tank (fishes?).

need all your parems please.

Yeah, I think 4 t5s should be plenty for softie growth.

As MB said, post your paramaters and equipment list..., as that migth be the problem..

INCLUDING specs on your lighting, and pics if you can (what bulbs? what fixture..etc) Include brand names if you know them. T5's are great, but quality often varies greatly from one to the next.

He has the all in one units where the reflector is mounted on the ballast. From my understanding these are low end t5s. I told him this a few times already but to no avail :).

Back