I'm worried, anyone recognize these marks on my fish?

lizzyann

Market
Reaction score
Would love some help diagnosing my precious possum wrasse. Pale patches have started showing up on her body, mostly near the head. So far it doesn't seem like there's any film, growth, or deterioration in the areas, just discoloration.

DSC06232.thumb.jpg.528eefa6f72b56982b8bb01d999e0522.jpg

This spot above her eye probably seems the worst, and could possibly be slightly indented, but it's really hard to tell, even in person.
DSC06240.thumb.jpg.489b50b5ce0623ed4f99ca9e85fbf7d5.jpg

DSC06277.thumb.jpg.5c922ca8011a081dfc7801678b016168.jpg

The underside of her head area seems to be especially pale:
DSC06263.thumb.jpg.a7decec52ae3dbe356f7f39895328b16.jpg

Does this look like it could be some kind of sting or irritation? I do have several pests right now. There's tons of hydroids (the tiny, white, stringy, branching kind) in her main hideout area but most of what I've read says that they don't sting fish. Maybe they sting enough to irritate though? I also recently spotted some baby aiptasia in one area of a rock, but why would the wrasse be messing with them enough to keep getting stung? I don't think there's more aiptasia in her hideout (I took the rock out to inspect a couple days ago), but I'll have to check again. There's also vermitid snails all over the rock that I'm trying to destroy, but again I know they irritate coral but didn't think they would bother fish.

Is it possible it's an injury from me moving rocks or something? I'm really careful when I've been doing this (trying to crush vermitid snails and such) but I figure maybe something could have happened without me knowing? I'm not positive but I feel like the patches didn't all show up at once, so I feel like that makes this theory less likely.

I am concerned about bacterial infection for two possible reasons. I (stupidly, I know) just add a yasha goby two weeks ago without quarantining . I assume the yasha is still alive but it hasn't left it's hiding spot under the rock. I can check again but felt really guilty for disturbing it the first time and am nervous about accidentally crushing it or the pistol shrimp. I also had a watchman goby die two months ago from what seemed to definitely be some kind of bacterial infection or tumor in its gut. I had a bad dinoflagellate outbreak at the time and a couple snails died, so I assumed that greatly affected the goby's sickness.

Other inhabitants are a yasha goby, pistol shrimp, emerald crab, pom pom crab, and hermit crab. I don't have any euphyllia or other corals with a bad sting (I don't think?).

Parameters are:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate .2
Phosphate 0
Calcium 470
Alkalinity 8.2
Magnesium 1470
pH 8.2
Salinity 1.026
Temp 78

Anyway, if these spots look familiar to anyone, I'd love to know about it!

Any new additions to the tank and are the spots getting bigger? Uronema is a possibility. If you can verify that's the problem feeding all the fish with food soaked in Focus & Metro should clear it up on the fish but once it's in the tank there's no getting rid of it. I hope that's not the case and it's something else.

Another possibility is Brook. This one is worse but curable.

Those are the two that first come to mind. Posting the best pic you can get on R2R will really help get it identified for you so if it's something bad you can get a treatment plan. Really good knowledgeable folks in the Fish Disease forum over there.

Thanks, I just posted on R2R too. The yasha is the only new addition to the tank and has been there for about 3 weeks. I did add a peppermint shrimp yesterday but the spots were there before that. I'll look into uronema and brooklynella some more.

Back