In-Wall Plywood Tank Coming Soon!

lukestimp

Market
Reaction score
Still in the design phase of this one, but thought I'd go ahead and get a thread started so i can get some input. I've even attached a couple Pictures of the tank done in Sketch-Up.

The Inside Dimensions are 72"L x 24"W x 30"H (Somewhere around 220G).
PlywoodModel.jpg
alt="" />
PlywoodModel2.jpg
alt="" />

For the Overflow, It's approx. 25"L x 5"W x 8"Deep. The overflow section is a 2" Gap. I'm not good at math so I really have no Idea how much flow this works out to be, so if anyone knows that calculation I'd very much appreciate it. I Plan to go with The Calflo set-up (at least thats what I think it is called) with 2" Plumbing, and dual 1.5" Returns.

Like I said I'm still in the early design stages of this build up, so any and all suggestions would be great. I'll get some pictures of the area it will be going in and of the Garage area that will become the fish room (as long as wifeys car still fits in the Garage..

RaisingTwo2006;242971 wrote: I'm probably sure I'm gonna sound dumb-

The tank is made of plywood? Is that gonna work?

Yes they make the frame out of plywood then coat it with fiberglass,etc..... Think of a Boat with fish in it :)

Lukey Stimp,
Good Luck with the project. If I was any good with fiberglass I would have done the same. What is your viewing window going to be?? Starfire Glass?

Raisingtwo - Not a dumb question at all, you should have seen the look on my wife's face when I said I'm going to build this one out of Plywood...PRICELESS!
But just as 46Bfinga stated basically a Boat with Fish in it..

Andre- I'm originally from Lawrenceville, my parents still live over there where about are you at? I would love all the help I can get on this one, I'm pretty skilled at wood working and I'd say I'm OK at laying Glass, from all the Custom Stereo work i used to do, but this will be slightly different and having a second and third, Forth Point of view is always great..

Looks good! You may want to consider a coast to coast (Calfo) overflow since you are building it yourself.

Jonathan

any reason why you didnt go 30 or 36" front to back? Because if you can...DO IT.

and yes do the overflow across the whole back, its worth it.

plywood tanks are in most cases better then regular ones because there are no seams to fail besides the window which if done right wont leak due to the water pressure pressing the glass against the silicon.

if I didnt want my tank visible from 3 sides peninsula style I would be doing a plywood tank.

blind1993;243383 wrote: a few people on here had concrete tanks.
Yep a friend of mine that I am trying to get to join and post his build is doing a 1000gal built from airated concrete. He works for Hibbel so he gets it a little cheaper than the 4.25 a square foot.

Back