In your experience

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
In your experience what makes euphyllia not open all the way?
I’ve treated extensively for pests :/ maybe old bulbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too much direct flow or too much light have been culprits for me in the past.

+2!

I've got a pink goniopora that just isn't happy in my display no matter where I put it due to the high flow and light. I seems to love being off to the side in my frag tank and has tripled in size since I put it there. Just wish it was more visible, it is a nice piece. Maybe I'll try the display again soon.

Try getting yours down on the bottom to the side of the tank where the should be less light and flow.

Hmmmm...
As far as light goes
I have 8 lamp ATI
Pretty much a split blue + and actinic w a purple plus I think.
I also run 2 of the new reefbreeders actinic strips
The tank is only 16” deep

Take that back
2 led reefvreeder strips
1 purple plus
4 blue plus
3 actinic

Just might be too much light for it. Can you shade it at all, like under a ledge or anything that casts a shadow.

This is the one I was talking about
Last year it was a shriveled up mess that was the size of a quarter, maybe just a bit bigger than that. It went in the frag tank in Jan or Feb.
20181220_205002.jpg

Frag tank is going through a bit of an ugly phase... :oops:

I don't think that's a euphyllia :) @anit77

Very pretty though, I've yet to successfully keep one of those over a year.

I don't think that's a euphyllia :) @anit77

Very pretty though, I've yet to successfully keep one of those over a year.

Yea, up above I said its a goniopora.

Hammers seem to do well in a little higher flow but still not in any direct flow and they can handle more light. Torches seem to be more sensitive, like the goniopora, they can't handle that much flow and will stay withdrawn if it's too high, same with light. What I was getting at is you'll know pretty quick when you've found a spot that it's happy. And that spot may not be in your tank...

The large Torches I had didn't do well in my display either and did great in the frag which has a pulsing flow pattern. I gave Ricky a few pieces last winter and they didn't do well in his large cube at all. Color faded and stayed more withdrawn. The flow wasn't too high in his cube but I think the nutrients are a bit higher.

I have better luck with hammers & frogspawn better than torches. Torches seem to somehow melted. All except the recently sold Aussie gold torches; it lasts more than 3 yrs and grew into a big colony from 2 heads. Sometimes, I almost gave up on torches too

I have better luck with hammers & frogspawn better than torches. Torches seem to somehow melted. All except the recently sold Aussie gold torches; it lasts more than 3 yrs and grew into a big colony from 2 heads. Sometimes, I almost gave up on torches too

In my experience I find that torches need more light than other euphyllia to stay happy. I'm talking acro levels of light and medium flow.

My giant frogspawn(50+ heads) is at the top of my tank with radions and t5 on it, it’s always happy unless I put too much flow on it. I have a torch that’s almost shaded, it’s happy too, but it gets low flow. I think that the flow strength and direction of flow play big parts on euphylia happiness.

Back