Increasing Calcium

rdnelson

Market
Reaction score
Let me start by noting that I use API test kits for everything but Magnesium (use Elos). All levels have been consistant. Mag needs to be supplement about every 2nd week and I do a 10% water change each weekend without fail.

Tank is a 45 gal, 30 lbs LR, 20 lbs LS. Sump is a 20 gal (about 12 gal water volume) with 10 lbs LS. I have a couple bags of carbon in my bubble trap and have just started using a Tunze 9006 skimmer. AM, Nitrite, Nitrate and Phosphate run 0 always. PH was about 8 until I got the light going on the fuge oppisite the display lights. Now it stays at 8.2. KH is always at 7 (125.3) and never waivers.

Now, the calcium in the past has always read 420 (figuring API reads a bit high I figure I have been at 400). Last two tests it has been at 400 on API. While I am not going to do anything until I watch it a while longer, I would like to start learning how to increase my calcium levels. All suggestions would be appreciated. :up:

I don't think you need to. You don't have SPS or clams. I think a consistent 400 is just fine for your needs.

While I don't have a clam yet I hope to one day in the not so distant future. As for SPS, I have a monti, chalace, blue tip, and birdsnest. Those are SPS are they not? The chalace and birdsnest were just added yesterday along with another candy cane. The monti and blue tip have been in since about the time SEA had the grand opening and both have done extreamly well. The monti is growing like a weed. :) Anyway, I just figured that I was border line and if I add more it may continue to drop so I figured now would be a good time to learn the right way to correct for it.

Thanks for the input.

400 is fine if not great for any sps...

I'd just increase your WC to 15-20% weekly if you start to drop below or near 350 from increased calcium consuming livestock.

10-4. Sounds like good advice. Guess it is time to set up a mixing staion and perm. location for RO/DI. Doing 5 gal at a time isn't bad because I can keep a 5 gal bucket mixed and two 5 gal butckets of fresh in the closet. Wonder how mad my wife will be when I take over part of the laundry room. hehehehehe

LOL I hear you. She was the one that wanted me to get the old FW tank looking good. So what if I decided "Looking Good" meant changing it to a Reef. LOL

Edit: Biggest draw back is the laundry is on the second floor. I either need a real long hose or will have to carry the water down the stairs. Bummer.

Back