Inherited a hex tank - what size is it?

gnashty

Market
Reaction score
Trying to figure out what the water volume is on the tank. It has 6 each 12" panels and is 21.5" tall.

I found this online but now my head hurts

<span style="font-family: Arial;"><p style="text-align:center;"><div style="text-align: center;">http://www.aquariumfish.net/pages/customer_comments.htm#top2"><span style="color: #ff0000;">Customer Comments</span></a><span style="color: #ff0000;"> </span></span>[/B]
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Hi,

I was just searching to find out how to calculate the volume for my aquarium. The trouble I'm having is that my tank is a hexagon, and the measurements of it do not appear to be standard.

Do you know how I would measure the width?

The longest width is 25.5" and the 6 panels are 12" long. The depth I believe is 24" (from flat edge across to flat edge). The height is 24.75".

Could you please help me?

Thank you,
Karen </span></span><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 12px;"> </span></span></div>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 11px;">
</span></span><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">[B]<span style="color: #ff0000;">Reply.</span> [/B]Hello Karen. Lets calculate the volume of your aquarium, which has a hexagon for the base and a height of 24.75". Click [IMG]http://www.aquariumfish.net/aquarium_pics/aquarium_pics_002.htm#arielle">here</a> to see a picture of a hex-aquarium.</span> </span><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">The formula for volume is always the base times the height, which you measured 24.75". So all we need is the area of the base. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Since all 6 panels in your aquarium are 12", the base is a so-called regular hexagon with all the sides measuring 12". The area of this regular hexagon is 6 times the area of an equilateral triangle with each side 12". </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Now think of a 12" equilateral triangle, and divide into two right triangles with one side 6" and hypotenuse 12". The other side will have a length equal to the square root of 12x12 - 6x6, which equals the square root of 144 - 36, which is the square root of 108, or about 10.4". </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">The area of the right triangle is 1/2 x 6 x 10.4, and the area of the equilateral triangle will be twice as much, which is 6 x 10.4 = 62.4 square inches, so the area of the base of your aquarium is 6 x 62.4, or 374.4 square inches. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">The volume of your aquarium is the area of the base times the height = 374.4 x 24.75 = 9296.4 cubic inches. Now multiply by 0.00433 to convert cubic inches to gallons: </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">9296.4 x 0.00433 = 40.1 gallons, which answers your question. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">When you calculate something like this, and the answer is important, because you may use the answer to determine how much Quick Cure or Salt to add to your aquarium, then it's best to double check your calculation. Or you might end up forgetting that the equilateral triangle has two right triangles, and get an answer that is off by a factor of 2. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Here is one way to double check the answer. The hexagonal base of your aquarium could fit inside a circle with a radius of 12" and have an area of about </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">pi x 12 x 12 = 3.14 x 12 x 12 = 452.2 square inches </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">which is somewhat bigger than the 374.4 square inches for the area of the hexagon inside the circle. So that checks. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">A circle with a radium 10.4" would fit inside the hexagon, and that circle would enclose an area of about </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">pi x 10.4 x 10.4 = 3.14 x 10.4 x 10.4 = 327.8 square inches</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">which is less than the 374.4 square inches for the area of the hexagon. So that checks too. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Also the area of the hexagon should be about half-way between the area of the inner circle and the area of the outer circle. The areas are about 327.8, 374.4, and 452.2, so those numbers look about right. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Now lets check these calculations with a measurement. Your aquarium is 24.75" tall. When you change 20% of water, as recommended repeatedly in this web site, you should remove 20% x 24.75 = 4.95, or about 5" of water. So measure down from the water surface 5" and put a mark on the glass with a marker pen. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Now remove water down to the mark and keep track of how much water you remove. For example, you could use a clean one-pint measuring cup. You should get close to 64 pints, which is the same as 8 gallons, or 20% of the 40 gallons, that we calculated in your aquarium. (Be sure to thoroughly clean the measuring cup, when you finish using it.) </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">You will probably measure less than 64 pints. Maybe you'll get 61. Because the measurements for your aquarium that you gave in your email were probably the outside measurements, and the water fills the inside of your aquarium. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">You could improve the calculations above by doing them again with the inside measurements, and perhaps subtracting the volume of the ornaments, etc. Click [IMG]http://www.aquariumfish.net/information/aquarium_arithmetic.htm#3">here</a> for more about doing that. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I hope this has thoroughly answered your question. </span></span>
[/FONT]

Gary how far across is it at the widest point?

If I did my math right about 23 gallons. But that's a rough guess.

And on the second try I get 32 gallons so somewhere in between I'd guess.

Gary how far across is it at the widest point?

If I did my math right about 23 gallons. But that's a rough guess. Circle approximation

And on the second try I get 32 gallons so somewhere in between I'd guess. Triangle approximation

Ok the third try with another formula says 35 gallons assuming this is a regular hexagon. (Area of hexagon formula) X (height)

Personally think the last is the best.

grouper therapy;701440 wrote: around 36 gallons not taking out for the thickness of the glass

Dave how did you solve for that? Each time I think of a different way and am getting different numbers.

All-Glass makes 10, 20, 35 and 60 hexes if that helps. That's an equilateral hex... not a flat-back hex, yes?

The 20 according to AGA's information chart is 18 3/4 x 16 1/4 x 20 5/8. The 35 hex is 23 1/4 x 20 3/26 x 24 3/4. Those measurements include trim.

Of course if it's not an AGA then....well who knows?

Jenn

Cheater!! I'm at my desk here drawing different circles and dividing it up piecing it together.

When in doubt, refer to manufacturer's prospectus. I keep the chart on my wall here because people are always acquiring tanks they have no idea what size they are. (Like the guy who called me out to look at his 450-gallon tank that turned out to be a 75! :lol:)

The stupid thing about this chart, as it pertains to hexes, is that the "width" and "length" refer to those measurements at their widest points. Same with corner bowfronts and that makes it a bit of a trick to measure.

Jenn

If you can break the footprint of the tank into right angles it becomes pretty easy
Bow fronts and Wave tanks are the tricky ones

You could ways just pour gallon jugs of water in it until you figure it out ;)

jbadd99;701468 wrote: You could ways just pour gallon jugs of water in it until you figure it out ;)

This is what I did for the longest, until I found gallon calculators....

How about a chart of standard tank sizes... http://www.gkpet.com/aquariumprice.html">http://www.gkpet.com/aquariumprice.html</a>

35 hex sounds right to me

Back